View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
QBeth

I bought my Sapphire 870 about two years ago; it came with two classes that I can repeat at anytime, thank goodness! Originally, not wanting to spend such big bucks, I'd bought the Sapphire 830. Hated it. Didn't do much more than my old BabyLock. So, I returned it and spent the money to upgrade to the 870. Much better machine, definitely made for the quilter.

As Shelbie said earlier, there's no pressure foot lever. DROVE ME NUTS!!! Almost returned the machine. I could never line up the fabric correctly for that quarter inch (I used to slightly lowering the 1/4" foot and using the edge to position the fabric.) Then someone said to me, "your machine has a throat plate with metric markings. Why not order a new plate with inch markings?! Did not know I could do this! Ordered one, got it about a month or so later.

Now, with the new throat plate and by using the needle to position my fabric, I'm good to go. The needle technique I figured out on my own -- pressure foot up, slide fabric underneath it, use the hand wheel to lower the needle just above where you want to sew (very handy when doing applique where you're not using a 1/4" seam). Now I'm happy.

One more point, the 870 (and whatever model now replaces it) has automatic tension. That, as Dawn says, is HEAVEN!

I'm also not familiar with an integrated table thingy. Do you really need it for that price? Why not forgo the table and apply the money to a better machine? just a thought...

Best of luck with your purchase.