Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine in garage >

Sewing machine in garage

Sewing machine in garage

Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 PM

Default Sewing machine in garage

Hello, I will be moving in a couple of months. I have done a search and found that storing fabric in a garage is not recommended but has been done with bad and good results. I need to put in plastic containers (I do have and will). My question is about sewing machines. They are good ones, with electronics. Can they be stored in a garage, that will get quite hot (100+ degrees), but only for a short time. 2 months maybe 2 1/2. During hot months of August and September. Just until I get my sewing room set up. I know when I have them in my car during freezing weather, I have to let them sit to room temp.

What do you think? Good for a couple of months?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Sometimes you just have no choice.... Have a good time on the move!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM

I wouldn't store electronics in a hot garage. Just like computers, electronics machines tend to not do well in high heat and it can damage them.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 PM

Should not store computers in extreme heat or cold.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:28 PM

I would avoid extreme heat or cold on any sewing machine - new or old. As far as the fabric, should be OK for a short time - but, speaking from experience, get plastic totes that are not too big as fabric is very heavy. Also, get plastic totes with lids that latch on instead of just snap on. Made the mistake of buying some huge plastic totes with lids that just snapped on and my poor DH just about ruined his back by picking up the very heavy totes full of fabric and then the lids popped off. So, I had to unload all of the fabric, takes the totes back to WalMart and buy smaller ones with the lids that locked on instead of just snapped on. Clear plastic was perfect as you can see what is inside. HTH
Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 PM

I think much depends on your location and whether or not the garage is free standing, attached to or under the house? Do you have lots of humidity, or dry summers?

I would feel comfortable storing my sewing machines in my garage, but it is incorporated into my house, and about 1/3 underground. It can get quite warm, but not unreasonably so. Summers here can be hot, but not humid. The garage does not get as hot as outside.

Do you have any other options? Where will you be living for the two months? Is there a closet you can store them in, does a friend have a basement corner you can use?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 AM

Don't leave the machine in the garage. Find a corner in the house to put it.

Computers don't deal well with heat, hence a room with computers has strong air conditioning.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:22 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I don't have to store them (sewing machines) in garage. I have the opportunity to use the garage sooner, and wanted to move them now, so I have more room to move in my sewing room.

I have a lot of stash to move. Not looking forward to moving all that ... but looking forward to the move.

Thank You again
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I think any computer or any electronic that was not running the heat or cold has no effect on them assuming they won't be hot enough to melt or cold enough to crack. I do know the self lubricating machines should not be stored for months without being run to distribute the lubrication so it won't dry up. The best moving and storing containers are the large plastic trash cans on wheels. Only way to move books for sure!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

When I move about three months ago, both of my Berninas came with me from my old place into the apt. I would put them somewhere in a closet or under the bed instead of the garage.