Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Ok so I have 5 kids - 4 still at home (2 of those 4 leave this August) - no I'm not sad yet and if you ask my standard answre is "I'm not sad today about them leaving" :)

Anyway - needless to say our 3 bedroom house has been quite crowded....my sewing area is about 3 feet wide by 6 feet long and actually is the hallway entrance to the living room....my camera battery is dead so I'll try and post a picture tomorrow!

Once the twins leave my two younger kids will still occupy the rooms as one is a boy and one is a girl.

More background - bare with me....about 6 years ago my husband bought a 1966 Mustang - he was going to fix it up and drive it around and I don't know try and get some young thing to smile at him (or laugh)...anyway this car has sat in my garage for 6 years...he is not a mechanic - he is a lawyer I have to hire someone to change light bulbs (ok not really but I'm making a point)...so the car sat there until tonight. Someone bought it....yes he acted like a big baby but we need the money because both of the girls will have to have a car when they go to college as they are both going to metro area's.

So I - silly me - make the suggestion that if we put up some plywood to close up the attic; take out the garage door and put up sheet rock - get an AC window unit - I can turn my newly cleaned and empty garage into a sewing room...Plenty of room for work tables; plenty of electrical outlets (some in the ceiling which is great for keeping cords off the floor)....washer and dryer right there....tons of shelves (lining 2 walls) to store stuff in. Put my computer and a TV out there and I'll be all set and out of everyone's way and they can watch TV without the whirl of a machine or two going off all the time! Then we can have our living room back and our bedroom and our front hall and front hall closet and bedroom closet and under our bed back for other things!

Great idea right? I mean kids are growing and we don't need the bikes or the toy box of sand toys or the boxes of hand-me-downs or anything else that has been in there.

So what does he say???? "I don't think we can do it...you'll need heat in the winter and with all that material you can't have a space heater in there!"

I am still sitting here in awe at 1:30 a.m. - HEAT???? HEAT???? We live in South Texas....aside from our 2 week fluke of a winter storm this year in the 20 years I've lived in Corpus Christi, I have barely ever turned on the heater in the house...I don't even own a winter jacket....HEAT????

I am just stunned! So tomorrow I'm going to finish cleaning and start rearranging and I may take some of his Mustang Money to go buy plywood and sheetrock - or maybe just a hammer to throw at him! HEAT!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM

LMBO, I don't think he wants to do it..and I have a space heater in my room even though we have central heat and air, no need to heat up the whole house, when I'm cold, hubby always hot. But any way I havent had any issue with a space heater, I always turn it off when I'm not around...
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 PM

I say go for it! My sewing room in this house was the garage. The landlord turned it into a bedroom. It has an a/c unit in it and does have a heat duct, but doesn't work that well. The heat, that is. Anyway, I went and bought a little $25 heater that sits under my table and when it gets too chilly in the room, I just turn it on for a bit. Works like a champ!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM

Don't worry about this, he'll come around. It's just that he must still be in mourning for his darling dream......of driving around with the wind whistling through his hair and lovely young ladies smiling at him...with men, reality doesn't seem to set in till old age is staring him in the face. Just remind him you love him..and remember, always smile at him when he comes home and love him. That's mostly what men need and want. Love.

As soon as he comes to grips with his loss, then start telling him how nicely he can do the garage...no, you said he was not a handyman, so keep reminding him how smart he is and how you love HIS idea of selling the car, and how smart he was to get a house with a big garage that could be made into a sewing room so he can watch TV in peace and quiet, and actually hear it.

Think that would work? It used to with my own DH.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 PM
SEW

I find that when my husband thinks something I want to do with regard to home repairs/upgrades etc. "isn't a good idea"... what he really means is "that sounds like a lot of work and I don't want to do it!"

I suspect in the not too distant future we will be seeing posts of your spacious new sewing room. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by SEW
I find that when my husband thinks something I want to do with regard to home repairs/upgrades etc. "isn't a good idea"... what he really means is "that sounds like a lot of work and I don't want to do it!"
That's my husband all the way! Lol

I'd hire someone to do the work while he's not there, then presto it's done and he can't say anything bad about it. Good luck! :)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

I'd say that you deserve to have your space after being cramped in the hallway.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 AM

do what you have to to make your room he will see sense once it is all done tho he may blow a steam valve or 2 while you are doing it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 AM

He has an office! You need an office. I have one my sewing just happens to be in there too. Does he worry about it being too cold when your doing all that laundry out there. Besides you need "stuff" to keep your nest full. You go girl!!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 AM

I love quilters! We can sew anywhere and do it well... go for it.. I know quilters who have converted sheds and have even built their own little houses for their quilting needs..! We are amazing .. If you have to hang the drywall get those kids to help explain to them that you will be happier and that leads to a happier home.. :) So my advice for what it is worth ... GO FOR IT!! Happy Quilting!
Hugs
Quiltinmama
ps send pics of the garage during and after renovations!