Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Don't worry about this, he'll come around. It's just that he must still be in mourning for his darling dream......of driving around with the wind whistling through his hair and lovely young ladies smiling at him...with men, reality doesn't seem to set in till old age is staring him in the face. Just remind him you love him..and remember, always smile at him when he comes home and love him. That's mostly what men need and want. Love.

As soon as he comes to grips with his loss, then start telling him how nicely he can do the garage...no, you said he was not a handyman, so keep reminding him how smart he is and how you love HIS idea of selling the car, and how smart he was to get a house with a big garage that could be made into a sewing room so he can watch TV in peace and quiet, and actually hear it.

Think that would work? It used to with my own DH.
Ditto from me! Hubby turned our garage into a woodshop which I had previously been using as my office. I'm a travelling computer/printer technician so have lots of inventory that moves in and out as well as a company vehicle which was all nicely contained in a garage stall until hubby decided to be a woodworker. Now I have to inventory outside in the cold, rain, heat, etc. but the reason I gave up my garage office was because I have a very large bedroom converted into my sewing room and felt guilty about having 2 spaces and he was having to constantly shuffle stuff around on his side of the garage to do his wood working.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Good idea, but make sure it is well insulated. Moisture will mildew your fabrics and ruin your machines.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamamama
Suggestion, If you leave the garage door and a space for lawn mowers and other garage stuff, then frame and sheetrock behind that it would save you the $$ it would take to match the outside of your house, give you garage storage and you could easily convert it back into a garage if needed in the future. If you ever want to sell people want an attached garage.
But he has a shed out back for all that stuff!

Besides I thought about it and leaving the garage door is better - even though we will never leave this house on the off chance we ever do (yes somedays I equate my life to an episode of LOST - never getting off the island)....

I will have to close up the attic though - when they built the house they left it open in the garage - not sure why but they did - that will have to close off....I figured a budget last night...

I'm going to try again tonight over dinner and see if he will go for it now that I did a budget - you know:

Throw rugs = $100
Coat of paint = $29.99
Plywood = $200
The woman you have been married to for 20 years being happy = PRICELESS

I really think that if I leave the garage door up I can do it for under 400.00
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sumcoop
if he is like my husband....he just doesn't want to do it because he doesn't know where or how to start...Rebellious woman that I am...I say Tawanda!!!! That is a reference from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes...take a break and watch it to see what I mean...it will be inspiring.
Have a great day hammering and shopping at the Depot! A hammer helps relieve frustrations!
I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes - and knew the quote as soon as I read it! TAWANDA!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

He is still pouting this morning over a car he didn't drive but about 8 times and that has sat in the garage acting as a shelf and gathering dust.

I don't get it...I'm selling my embroidery machine - I have spent hours and hours with that machine...I actually used it and I'm not crying or pouting...Ok well he is not crying but he looks like he might.

What is it with men and their cars?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM

Give him a little time. He is still mourning the loss of his Mustang. Tell him if he doesn't want to give you the garage then he can build an addition to the house for you.

I worked a deal with my husband. He bought a Saleen, which is a Mustang on steriods, and wanted a garage for it. I told him the only way he could build a garage would be if he built me a sewing room. I got a great sewing room and he got a 3 car detached garage. Win Win.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

My husband built my first sewing room in the garage. I had a space 6' X 8' and it was perfect for me for 10 years!

I had a small AC, a space heater, and a stereo. One whole wall was a table he built for my sewing machine. He cut a hole for the machine so the table and sewing surface were even. The wall in back of me was floor to ceiling shelves to house my fabrics. Hanging shelves over the table gave me room for all the other items. I loved it!

I have since moved into the house, because the last child was gone, and DH decided he wanted my room to store his stuff.

I have much more space now, but I really did love my little room...

Linda
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
if he is like my husband....he just doesn't want to do it because he doesn't know where or how to start...Rebellious woman that I am...I say Tawanda!!!! That is a reference from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes...take a break and watch it to see what I mean...it will be inspiring.
Have a great day hammering and shopping at the Depot! A hammer helps relieve frustrations!
I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes - and knew the quote as soon as I read it! TAWANDA!!!
I always flash back to this movie when someone steals my parking spot. It's all I can do to restrain myself from copying Kathy Bates--I'm older and I have more insurance!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM

The hammer sounds like a good idea, just kidding.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by pamkasperi
I always flash back to this movie when someone steals my parking spot. It's all I can do to restrain myself from copying Kathy Bates--I'm older and I have more insurance!
when I'm irritated by drivers I say this - my kids just shake their heads! But I LOVE Kathy Bates