Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Sewing machine question

I have a Brother SQ9000 I got on sale on Amazon.com for $140 and it has 80 stitches, but I also have a Kenmore from 70's, a Singer from 18's, may or may not keep although I have it working now. Helen, my grandmothers 201-3 works great with quilting as it has a large harp and straight stitches like a dream. But to quilt I would look for one with a larger harp area. But they all sew really good.

I still like the Janome and the larger throat.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
    I have used a Bernina for twenty years without any problems at all. Mine is a Bernina 1000 and is pretty basic but she is a work horse. It will sew through four layers of denim and keep on going. If I were going to buy on a budget, I would look on-line for a used Bernina. New ones are very expensive but used ones are quite affordable.
    21 years ago I bought a Bernina 1031 and it sews as well as the day I bought it. You can't go wrong with and older Bernina or other high end machine. The new plastic machines often don't last beyond 5 years.
    Sharon

You might be a good candidate for a singer featherweight. That particular machine is from the 1930's and is light weight, so could go to bee's or retreats easily. As far as repairs, they are pretty simple machines, and there are experts here on the Quilt board. It stitches a beautiful seam, just like most any mechanical machine it too can quilt a quilt.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Babylock machines are user friendly

I am also interested in knowing which affordable machine has a wider throat or harp area?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7