Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine recommendations >

Sewing machine recommendations

Sewing machine recommendations

Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Janome. I've been using them for about 15 yrs now and love them.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
janome! no fuss no muss no mess such an easy machine so silent hands down i love it! ~till i can afford a baby lock that is
I love my Janome's!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
janome! no fuss no muss no mess such an easy machine so silent hands down i love it! ~till i can afford a baby lock that is
I had a babylock before I had a janome. I hated it. I ended up giving it to my mil for patching. I also have a babylock serger that quit working a long time ago. I'll never buy babylock again.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM

There are several great machines for quilters. It is best that you try them out yourself and decide which one "feels" right for you. Make a list of the features you need before you shop. My favorite features are good lighting, wide harp space, needle down, and built in scissors. Buy from a dealer you trust who is nearby and offers service. My favorites are Bernina, Janome 8900, and Brother 1500. I bought them all from my LQS. They service them and help me whenever I have a question. Have fun shopping.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 AM

Don't forget Juki's. I hate Pfaff's - they eat my fabric if I don't use leader/enders, I hate Bernina's, too stiff and less features for more money. I like Janomes - I love Babylocks - no one does embroidery as well and easily as Brother/Babylock machines. But the Juki's are the bomb. The motors are geared differently. You never get the bogging you get with the other machines. They will go thru anything.
But my opinion doesn't really matter. You need to go sew with as many brands as you can find and buy the one you can't live without.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

if you are looking for a straight stitch only machine for piecing and FMQ, i really loved my Juki tl98q, the newer version has a different set of numbers at the end. it's a very solid machine.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Don't forget about vintage Singers! I love my 403A and have been sewing on it regularly for over 40 years. It's so solid and does most everything except FMQ. I also have a 99k which has a case and is great for traveling. The Featherweights are good for FMQ because they have a vertical bobbin. The prices for older Singers run a fraction of the cost for a new sewing machine and they are built to last a lifetime. If that's what you're interested in, you should check out the vintage sewing machine threads and forums on this site. They will guide you to your perfect machine. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 AM

My favorite features are 10 in throat area and in needle down mode the foot pops up a little when you stop sewing.
I have a Viking Sapphire and several cheap Brothers. Love them all. One Brother is a three hundred dollar 4 in embroidery machine. It is easy to use and have made lots of embroidered 6 in blocks. Only use it for quilting so a fancy expensive machine would be an expensive mistake.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM

All the major brands are good. I am a Pfaff lover because of the IDT and my arthritis. It doesn't eat my fabric at all. I select the throat plate based on what project I am working on: fancy stitching vs plain straight stitching. I don't always use leaders but hold the thread ends just like I did when I was young and learning to sew in home ec class.

My question for you are:
- What do you want your machine to do? Have a list of your needs and your wants when you look at each machine. No use buying an expensive machine if you don't need all the features it offers.
- What is you budget. Would you consider a used machine? New machines might have a 6 months same as cash offer from whatever store you buy it from.
- Do you personally have special needs: poor eyesight, arthritis, etc.
- The the really important determinant after all the above: which machine do you bond with. I mean which machine are you intuitively able to use without any difficulties.

Keep your notes as you go through the process if you think you'll forget anything. Make the journey fun, however you do it. Know that each person has their own preferences, which might not be yours.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM

I think you have to really try some out. When I thought I would love some that others loved, I just didnt. Its best to get a feel for them if you can and see what jumps out at you. When I found mine, it just felt right, and I still love everything about it.