Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine recommendations >

Sewing machine recommendations

Sewing machine recommendations

Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM

I have a Bernina and a Pfaff and like them both.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone - a lot of great advice which I will take to heart. Will definitely start keeping a list of features I like/want and try out any before purchasing.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond - thankful for the perspectives.

Kathy
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM

The best advice that I can give you is to check out the shops and the machines. We all are different and want different things in our machines. You need to find out the features that are out there. Several yrs ago I bought a new machine because I wanted an upgraded one. It has lots of features and I got a great price since it was priced wrong. Since then I've learned about needle up/down option, scissor cut options, presser foot auto up/down, pivoting, the size of the throat, etc. I have a viking diamond deluxe and love it, I just push start and it lowers the presser foot automatically and does all that is needed to go. I never really thought about how much I liked this feature until I took a class last yr with a Brother emb machine, the latest out, great machine but I kept getting beeped at because I kept forgetting to put the presser foot down. You really need to research all of the features and try out as many as you can before you decide what you want or need. You'll be amazed at the features and some of the prices. Most of the high priced machines do have finance free options though. I love all of my Vikings, the one I bought a few yrs ago was a Kenmore made by Janome and I love it too but it doesn't have as many of the features of my Viking. I want to get a regular machine when my emb one is paid off but I'm thinking of getting the Pfaff, probably the passport. It has the built in walking foot plus my teacher who loves Pfaff but is also an award winning quilter says it looks like a really good machine. I think machines are like most things in life, you should try it before you buy it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

My little Brother SQ9000 is 3 1/2 years old now, and I am still in love with it. Jim got it at Walmart, and it was only $199.
before taxes. It has 80 stitches and can also do the alphabet. It has loads of attachments that I am still getting used to.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM

I am a Brother believer! I started with a few very inexpensive ones, then upgraded to an Innov-is 80 - love, love, love it! I recently added a PQ1500 for free motion quilting. Never had issues with my Brothers
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM

You will find everyone has their own favorites. I would suggest you check out the sewing machine dealers in your area and test drive the sewing machines. It really is a personal preference and only YOU can decide what you want and need and which sewing machines work best for you. That being said, I have Bernina, Pfaff, Brother and White sewing machines. Each brand has it's own pros and cons, the only way to know is to go and try them out.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Just traded in my Bernina 640 for an 880. If you can't afford new try a used Bernina to meet your needs.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

PM meplease..
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

You could get a Bernina 330 for about $900. As a sewing machine mechanic, I love working on the Berninas best. We get a quality stitch every time. When you buy a Bernina, you always get classes and 1 to 3 years of free service.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM

I think everyone has their preference. There are folks here who LOVE the Janome 8900; I have one that I'm really only lukewarm about. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I have owned three Brothers that I adored, and next month I'm buying the Dream Creator - pretty sure it will be my next machine love. You really need to get out and try everything you can get your hands on; it's the only sure way to know whether you're going to love it once you get it home. I wish I'd spent more time with the Janome; I never would have bought it if I had.