Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: sewing rows together...

All agree there are no perfect quilts. I do trim up all my blocks and go by the smallest. When I am sewing strips, I square them every time I add a strip
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Ditto, Crazie.

Blog Entries
    Unless the design requires it, I usually do not sew long rows, then sew the rows together. Instead, I square up each block and use Best Press on the back of it to keep it stable. Then, I sew blocks into pairs, then into four squares, then sew those together as I go. For me, it's too easy to watch long rows get wonky. I do better this way. This way, I have very few long seams to match and sew.

Krysti: Just go for it! Quilting should not be scary!
    Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I square up my blocks before I sew them together so that the rows should have no problem going together if your blocks are all the same size. It can be tedious at each step of making the block but it makes your blocks way more accurate saving you headache later. If you saw my first quilt where i was not taught this method and my third quilt where I kind of taught myself to, you can see a big difference in how the blocks line up
    Me too. Blocks that are just too small are relegated to pillow sham or a throw pillow.
    Deb
    (If you are going to be a bear, you may as well be a grizzly.)

Blog Entries
    Unless you are REALLY off, no one will even know that they don't match up perfectly. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4