Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing rows together... >

sewing rows together...

sewing rows together...

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 AM

I struggle wit matching seems, I am getting better but not perfect. I noticed when locking my seams to pin at an angle and make sure to use more pins along the sew edge to minimize the movement.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Blocks are squared as soon as 2 pieces are sewn together. Then squared whenever you add a piece/or section on. After the block is completed, check for square before you start sewing rows together. Sewing squared blocks together=a squared quilt top.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM

ke sure when you pin that they feel flat in the back and check that the seams line u[/ou take a peek on the other side to see. You should ve able to easr them in but sometimes you may be off a ;ittle and if you can live with it then it it is ok as you just need to enjoy the process as you will get better with time.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM

I have found that if I startch the pieces well they go together much better.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Squaring up as you go will give you much better results. I am still trying to make the perfect quilt. I figure if I strive for perfection, I will at least get closer.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Squaring up as you go will give you much better results. I am still trying to make the perfect quilt. I figure if I strive for perfection, I will at least get closer.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

I was being hard on myself, I wanted to achieve perfect line up too. I too asked and was told, if you can't see it from riding by on a galloping horse, don't worry about it. Now I still try, but, if I am a little off, I don't fret.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM

You ladies are way too kind and I appreciate it! I have finally finished sewing my rows together, and they are not, by any means even close to perfect. Some of them came out pretty good; others are quite a bit off, but I've decided that's ok. Dawn227 thank you for that tip about sewing the rows together. I thought maybe I went against quilting rules by starting to sew rows together before making them blocks first--I will try that next time. All of your tips are great, and I will practice them on my next one. My little guy is just all excited because he thinks his quilt is done and he can't wait to have it. Unfortunately, I've told him it's going to take me a LONG time to finish, because I have to put it together and I'm nervous as heck and not sure I am ready for the backing and binding and putting it all together.

Thanks again, I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!

Krysti
Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM

My first quilt I made with flannel sashing and muslin blocks. OH MY! the flannel stretched like everything. My seams were not even, the blocks were wonky, so the difference )between the shortest and longest row was some 4 inches, and none of the eight rows were the same lenght. I had no idea how to fix it, and didn't want to start over. so I made sure each row was straight anyway: folded each in half the long way and trimmed to be even with the narrowest block(it was all wonky even along the rows!) Then I folded each row in half the other way, and matched centers of each row. so the center blocks sort lined up, at least the centers did. but the recipent liked it well enough, I promised her a better one when i got good. i don't think I'm good enough yet though . Maybe when I can make my avatar....
see here for pics http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t79013.html

Last edited by Cosy; 02-28-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Mine are never straight...but I love them anyway...