Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams >

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 AM

Yes, this happens a lot to me too. It was great to read all the advice and next time, I hope, will be better!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 AM

Wow....you guys are great! Thank you so much for the feedback! I am going to try some of the tips mentioned here. I sometimes forget that I am new to this and I compare myself to my mom and friends who have been doing this for years. Their work looks perfect to me (though my mom says that we are all our own worst critic and that nothing is perfect) and I need to remember to have fun.
Thanks again! ��
Christine
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 AM

I keep a finger or three on the fabric gently guiding it as I go but have found that at the end of the piece I'm sewing, if I let the right side of my index finger glide gently up against the presser foot, it helps keep the fabric where it needs to be....straight under the presser foot.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I also use a stilleto - a long pin or needle will also work - to hold that last inch or two together and quide it under the needle. It really does help.
I don't actually pin the pieces together - it' s more like putting a weight on papers to keep them from blowing away than stapling them together.

I hope I did not confuse you on that.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 AM

If it is the beginning and ending of the seam that are off, try using leaders and Enders. These are small scraps of fabric that you can use over and over as the very beginning and end fabrics of your seam, in a chain stitch manner. Some save up small pairs of fabric squares to use as leaders and enders, save each sewn pair to make a whole new scrappy quilt. Just google leaders and enders for more information!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I keep a finger or three on the fabric gently guiding it as I go but have found that at the end of the piece I'm sewing, if I let the right side of my index finger glide gently up against the presser foot, it helps keep the fabric where it needs to be....straight under the presser foot.
I use my index finger, too, but the I use left side of my right finger on the loose edges of the fabric (the seam allowance side) to keep them going straight over the feed dogs. Pins, needles, or stilletos just don't have the same 'grip' over moving feed dogs and it's that rowdy right dog that causes all swerving the trouble. Works like a charm for me and I've never even come close to sewing my finger.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Practice, practice, practice!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have used this technique for years and ALL my seams are straight and speedy to sew.

Jan in VA
I teach this very method in my beginning machine class but they do also have a post it note that is more sticky as well. And just remember practice practice practice it will get easier with time.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 AM

I agree with Mitty. The chain piecing helps with this problem. I feed piece after piece through--and at the end of the pieces I feed a 2"scrap for a bridge piece which I reuse as needed. Makes starting and ending each seam much smoother. This saves thread, too.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I put a ruler under my needle making sure it is straight and then I tape down 5 or 6 layers of painter's tape right next to it. I use pins but I put them parallel to what I am stitching. This works for me. Try different things mentioned above and find out what works best for YOU !!