Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams >

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 AM

I use all the different tricks.. but if I don't hold the fabric straight while finishing the last little bit of the seam it will usually be smaller.. so..several things were mention above but a wooden pointed stick like you use to cook pieces on the barbaque works great and won't break your needle if you happen to get it to close..
Old 03-24-2015, 12:07 PM

I might be the only one but I use the Brother SA185 1/4 piecing foot with guide. I used several methods before I found it- tape, magnets, command strips, etc. I never have to worry about it when I use the foot. It is ALWAYS correct unless I force the fabric to bunch against the guide. With the guide sticking out in front of the foot and the single hole, it's easy to start and finish the same width every time. I know many people have had issues with the foot not giving them the 1/4" or scant 1/4" but for me, it's spot on. You just have to find the method that works best for you.

I had the worst time training myself not to look at the needle! Being a woodworker too, I was so used to watching the blades on all my saws, it was automatic to watch the needle when it came to sewing. Hard habit to break but it can be done.