Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Table with Airlift >

Sewing Table with Airlift

Sewing Table with Airlift

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM

Is it easy to construct a sewing table with airlift? I love those tables from Arrow but they are rather costly. It's not available in my country and to ship it over from US will set me back by US$300 just for shipping! Does anyone have any idea if it's available anywhere in Asia too?

I would appreciate if someone out there could provide me with simple instructions/diagram on how a sewing table with airlift could be constructed. I could enlist the help of my carpenter.

Really needed to get a proper sewing table this year. It's on my #1 wishlist.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM

are you looking for a table that you can adjust the hight on? I use a metal shelving unit that has adjustable shelves. It also has wheels so I can move it room to room. The shelf is 15 x 30 inches and I have plenty of room to sew.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Do you want the airlift so that you can hide the machine?

Or do you want an adjustable table? and how big is the space you have? It is possible an IKEA table in their office portion, which would be height adjustable, would do the job if you didn't want to hide the machine or would settle for making a quilter [?] cover for it.

Just offering another idea.

ali
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Do you want the airlift so that you can hide the machine?

Or do you want an adjustable table? and how big is the space you have? It is possible an IKEA table in their office portion, which would be height adjustable, would do the job if you didn't want to hide the machine or would settle for making a quilter [?] cover for it.

Just offering another idea.

ali
Yeah prefer an airlift which could hide my machine, and also to sew in a flatbed position. This is of cos my #1 preference. Else, a table which has a hollow in which to put my machine in to sew in a flatbed position is ok too.

The only place I could place the sewing table now is my study room, which has limited space. I would think the max space available to me is about 2 metres. This is why I love the Arrow sewing tables. Their cabinets allow me to reduce them to a compact size when I'm not sewing and could double up as workstations too.

I've been to Ikea but don't think there is anything suitable, as they do not produce sewing tables with hollow space to put my machine in.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM
MTS
Banned

Well, if you've got a good, creative carpenter, they can easily build something or modify an existing desk or table.
You just need this:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FQjs7QodgA4uCg

or

http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...ogle&ovtac=CMP

I can't speak to the quality of either airlift as I haven't really investigated it further yet. I've just kept the links bookmarked because one day I'd like to do this. I have strange space that none of the existing tables will efficiently fill.

You can really customize it to your specifications and wallet. Do a Google search on "sewing machine table directions" and you'll get a ton of results to sift through. Too many for me to list here. At least the pictures will give you (and your carpenter) some ideas.

But it would certainly be a lot cheaper to ship over than a table. Although I'm sure they both come from your neck of the woods originally. :wink: :wink:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Eleanor Burns had a tv show where she had her son cut a hole in a regular small dining room table and make a bracket shelf under it to hold her machine. Almost any cabinet that will fit in your space will work and possibly even have an airlift added to it. Airlifts aren't cheap, though. $115 was the cheapest I saw.

If you have a carpenter on your payroll, have him build you the cabinet or pick up one that someone has thrown out after a remodel and modify it.

I have a Sauder sewing machine cabinet that I got at Walmart for $75 several years ago. Hubby cut a hole in it just big enough for my machine to sit down in and used a piece of MDF board to make a bracket shelf that is situated just so the machine bed sits level with the top of the cabinet. I can still close the cabinet if I take the machine out and sit it inside, on the bottom shelf. Adding an airlift to it would still be cheaper than a Horn, Koala, or even an Ikea table, though.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Well, if you've got a good, creative carpenter, they can easily build something or modify an existing desk or table.
You just need this:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FQjs7QodgA4uCg

or

http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...ogle&ovtac=CMP

I can't speak to the quality of either airlift as I haven't really investigated it further yet. I've just kept the links bookmarked because one day I'd like to do this. I have strange space that none of the existing tables will efficiently fill.

You can really customize it to your specifications and wallet. Do a Google search on "sewing machine table directions" and you'll get a ton of results to sift through. Too many for me to list here. At least the pictures will give you (and your carpenter) some ideas.

But it would certainly be a lot cheaper to ship over than a table. Although I'm sure they both come from your neck of the woods originally. :wink: :wink:

Wow, these airlifts are really expensive! Almost the price of a regular sewing table! I'll need to discuss with my carpenter, show him pics etc to see if he could manage anything. Problem is, sewing tables are pretty rare here in Singapore, as people hardly sew as a hobby. Hence, there's no physical sample for my carpenter to see. Perhaps I should just forget about the airlift and just request for a regular sewing table which serves my needs.

Do you quilters find an airlift table really useful? The worst thing is to spend money to customise one and realise thereafter that you don't really need it.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Just wondering if any of you have a DIY sewing cabinet with an airlift to show me? Really needed more inspiration here!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
Just wondering if any of you have a DIY sewing cabinet with an airlift to show me? Really needed more inspiration here!
Can't you just google it? Then you could look at many. This way you could pick out what you are looking for, It is hard for us to find you something when we really don't know exactly what you want. :thumbup:
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by vivientan
Yes, I suggested to you above to Google "sewing machine table directions" and many options will come up. Some with the airlift, some without. You will need to sift through them to see if any meet your expectations - and your carpenter's skill level.

And I'm sure there are cheaper airlifts out there. You'll need to search for them.

If you want a dual purpose table where the machine disappears, without the fancy lift, then you can re-purpose a dining room table or desk as indicated above. Just keep the piece you cut out so it can be set back in.

There are many examples on this board, but the search function is pretty useless, but you could give it a try.

Keep on eye on http://singapore.gumtree.sg/ - not a huge selection but I see that sewing machines/cabinets occasionally come up for sale.

And why don't you write Arrow directly to see if they supply any retail outlets in Singapore? That might be more fruitful than asking a predominately US audience if a company ships to Singapore.

Here's a link to a Singer dealership in Singapore - why not contact them to see if they know of any tables available:
http://www.singer-sg.com.sg/
Here's another multi dealership:
http://www.eguide.com.sg/Companies/G...Sewing-Machine

Good luck.