Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing table

I have a question for all you brilliant and talented quilters and handymen! I have a Bernina with a front loading bobbin. I would like to take a table and cut an opening for the machine to sit down even with the table. My hubby says to cut a hole along the edge would take out some of the support of the top so he suggested something to lift the machine when I need to change the bobbin. Does anyone know of such a gadget?

There are electric lifts on the market. You'd have to google to see if you could find one to your specs.

Blog Entries
    I also have a Bernina with a front loading bobbin and a sewing table that attaches to the left end of the sewing arm. It is a model 1080. I took an old desk with a center drawer, cut a hole in the top so that the machine sets in the drawer. There is enough room to replace the bobbin without lifting the machine.

Blog Entries
    Check some woodworkers magazines. I can't think of the one my hubby got, but they sell the lifts in there, sort of work on a spring. HUbby just said one was Woodcrafters, and one was Woodworking supplies. Hope this helps.

I can't be of any help with that. I have a New Home and Singer that sit on the table

I have a sewing cabinet that is about 11 years old and it has a pneumatic lift. It's great-one level for sewing, goes up another level to access the bobbin and can move down 2 levels to completely recess the machine. Then there is a piece that fits on top to cover the recess and it looks like a piece of furniture. When it's all closed up there is no way to tell that it's sewing cabinet.

You can find a sewing machine lift at Rockler ( a woodworkers supply company). www.rockler.com. I purchased one for a sewing cabinet my husband will make for me.
    Denise

Thanks guys, you all have given me some ideas. I will let you know what I decide to do!

Blog Entries
    I found a video on YouTube that showed a gal raising the rest of the table around her machine, and I did it, too. All it took was a sheet of styrofoam insulation, cut to size and double stacked. I cut smaller pieces to fit in front and to the side of my sewing plane. Now my featherweight is in a HUGE sewing table (old dining table), and the foam cost less than $10 at the hardware store.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here's the website for Rockler....http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2

The lift is $159.00 there!!! I went to Amazon. They sell it for the same price...and the reviews mention something about issues with the measurements and fitting it in cabinets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast