Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sewline ceramic pencils

Can you mark a quilt for quilting - can't erase under the stitching... Any of it wash out - disappear or just erasable?

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Can you mark a quilt for quilting - can't erase under the stitching... Any of it wash out - disappear or just erasable?
    Sewline comes out with water (also brushes off with a soft toothbrush when stitched over), don't know about the others.

I have one a friend sent me. I like it! I have the pink lead (if you will) and I heard the black doesn't come off.

I have all the Sewline colors, but like someone else said, I use mostly the pink and the white. I haven't noticed that any of the colors hang around after washing - even white on a dark red fabric. The mark is nice and fine and it stays on for a long time - it doesn't wear off easily like chalk pencils. :)

klc
    I have the Sewline trio; black, white, and tracer point. I use the white all the time and love it!!!

Banned
    I've used them and they do work well for me. The lines stay sharp and the "leads" don't break easily. The eraser thing on the pencil portion does a good job of removing the markings when you want to get rid of the marks. And I do like that you can buy different colored "leads" and use the same pencil. They load like a mechanical pencil, and you just change out the "lead" if you need a different color. But on the downside, they are sooooo expensive. If I were to loose the pencil portion and have to rebuy it, I'm not sure that I could justify the expense. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    But on the downside, they are sooooo expensive. If I were to loose the pencil portion and have to rebuy it, I'm not sure that I could justify the expense. Just my opinion.
    Oops, I forgot to say - I bought the Sewline brand pencils in white, pink and black but I bought the refills in all the other colors and I put them into cheapie .9mm mechanical pencils.

Blog Entries
    Something new for me, will look into getting me one...you learn so much on this forum.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to have to check these out. Been wanting to get something.

Quote Originally Posted by christina d
    has anyone ever used sewline ceramic pencils for marking your quilts or for applique ?I would like toget one but wanted to know if it is worth it thanks for your advice
    I always use them and they are great! They come in several different colours - I have a green one and a pink one - and, between the two of them, I can always see my marks whatever the fabric colour. I've never had need to remove the marks, although there is an adjustable eraser on the end.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast