Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewline Fabric Pencils for marking quilts

Sewline Fabric Pencils for marking quilts

Has anyone tried them and are they really water soluble. I got one given to me sometime back but I am scared to actually use it one a quilt....lol. They say they are water soluble but do not iron!!! Anyone have any experiences they want to share with me before I mark up a quilt with it....LOL....thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have yet to try mine, but my friend Cindi loves hers. Can you try it out on some scraps and see what happens?

I love the way it marks and feels. I like the thin line it puts out and it is easy to follow...3 different colors, however, I am afraid to mark my quilt, want to make sure it comes out...LOL....I just need to mark up some scraps and see what happens in a few days and then try to get them out, I guess...LOL...thanks

Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time and so far have had no problems.
    Bernie

I use the Sewline pencil to trace hand embroidery patterns onto the fabric. Erases and washes out beautifully

I have heard some really bad reviews on these. The pencil doesn't come out of fabric after many washes etc. I was looking forward to buying and using one and after reading the reviews I decided against it.

I met someone in a shop who told me that Porter & Fons have a mechanical pencil that works really well. I was looking for a light or white one to mark quilting that would come out easily. She was another customer, and the shop didn't sell it, so I'm still looking for it.

I have used this pencil - have one in green - most of the time it comes out - but I used it on a Kona cotton solid and what happened was the color came out but it left a line that was a shade darker then the color of the fabric - you need to test it on the fabric you want to mark.

I have been using them for awhile and love them.

I have been using them for a while and they work great. I only use the white or graphite colors and they have washed out fine, so far.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I use the Fons & Porter white ceramic pencil & love it. It makes a fine line & I've never had a problem with washing it out.

I've used the pink and yellow. I had a little trouble with the pink, but a little oxy and a 2nd washing and it came out fine. Thinking the next thing I might try is the heat removable pounce, anyone use that?

I use them all the time-love them.

Kat

I use my Sewline all the time with no problems either erasing it or wetting it with a small art brush to remove it. The only times I've heard of problems removing the markings has been with colors other than grey or white and since I don't see any need to use those, I don't. Grey or white works just fine on any color fabric I've ever used. I think they're great!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I've just tried a pink one, and most of the marks had gone before I reached the edge of the quilt, which was rather a mixed blessing!

Blog Entries
    I used the graphite one on a quilt top and the marks would NOT come out! I must have soaked and washed it a dozen times, using every cleaning chemical known to man and it just would not come out. Never again! I'm much more careful about testing on the exact fabric I'm going to use now.

I do really like the other colors when I need to mark a fine line, and so far, haven't had any problems removing them.
    Wendy

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    I met someone in a shop who told me that Porter & Fons have a mechanical pencil that works really well. I was looking for a light or white one to mark quilting that would come out easily. She was another customer, and the shop didn't sell it, so I'm still looking for it.
    JoAnn's carries the Fons and Porter mechanical pencils and refills.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

I love mine.

Use mine all the time and love it.
    Linda

Z

Sewline marker refill

Does anyone have the refill container? Does it tell the size, 5 or 7 many times? It seems as though you could put those in a regular mechanical pencil.

Blog Entries
    always TEST no matter what you choose to use for a marking pencil- test it on the fabrics you plan to use it on to make sure it will come out the way you expect it to---and remember to not iron (heat set) or place in a hot dryer- before all markings have been removed.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love using mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Does anyone have the refill container? Does it tell the size, 5 or 7 many times? It seems as though you could put those in a regular mechanical pencil.
    They are .9mm.

Z
    Ghostrider,
    Thanks for the info on the .9 mm size of the marker refills. I looked at some mechanical pencils that I have and Papermate has a .9 size. I'm going to get a refill and see how it works in the pencil. Will let people know.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Ghostrider,
    Thanks for the info on the .9 mm size of the marker refills. I looked at some mechanical pencils that I have and Papermate has a .9 size. I'm going to get a refill and see how it works in the pencil. Will let people know.
    I suggest you load it through the point end of the pencil. The leads are ceramic and not as strong as a graphite lead. I doubt they'd make it through the inner workings of a regular pencil without breaking up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast