Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sharpening marking pencils

Power Poster
    Do any of you have a good way to sharpen the chalk-type marking pencils?

I have the hand held ones and a crank type one, and sometimes the chalk just breaks and breaks and breaks.

UGH!

I use a regular hand held one and move the pencil very slowly and remove it before it breaks.

Maria

I have a little plastic pencil sharpener that will sharpen two sizes with the little catcher on it. I've had no problems with breakage. Of course, it is kinda slow...

Blog Entries
    try the metal hand held kind that you can find in the art supply section of either joann's or michaels. not perfect, but much better than any other sharpener i've tried. it was $3.00.

Blog Entries
    I had good luck using the eyebrow/eye liner pencil sharpener. The makeup pencils are delicate and the special sharpeners seem to be easy on them.

Power Poster
    I went back to using a paring knife and whittling the ends. Seems to work as well as anything I've tried.

Don't tell my husband - he's like the kitchen knives like I'm about him using my Ginghers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I went back to using a paring knife and whittling the ends. Seems to work as well as anything I've tried.

Don't tell my husband - he's like the kitchen knives like I'm about him using my Ginghers.
    I had to crack up!!! My DH is like that also....he would go into orbit when we visited his mother. She used her butcher knife to open cans!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I have a little plastic pencil sharpener that will sharpen two sizes with the little catcher on it. I've had no problems with breakage. Of course, it is kinda slow...
    That's the same kind I use. It is slow but the pencil doesn't break as much.

I just purchased a SewLine mechanical pencil designed for marking fabric. It uses a ceramic "lead" that erases. It's the only way to mark. It marks with a really nice fine line, the first time, and you can get 4 different colors of lead, white, black, green, and red.

Blog Entries
    I've read good things about those pencils cookn :D I'll probably have to get one to try. I have the Fons & Porter mechanical pencil and I like it also.

I have the Bohin pencil which is like the Sew Fine. The only problem I have had is with the Graphite or Black lead. They did not wash out of the fabric.

Crashnquilt,

The instructions that came with mine emphasize that you should use the eraser that comes with it. They say it's the only way to get it off.

I sure like it. I used it to mark some bias binding this morning and it makes very easy to see lines. We're taking a class at the shop where I bought it, tomorrow. I just might have to purchase a different color to add to this one. Think I'll get a green one.