Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: First they took Simply Quilts off the air, now

they no longer have an episode listing on HGTV website. I used to go on there, and pick projects.

Well I really wanted to do that wedding ring quilt where you work on one ring at a time (piece, sew, quilt)

but now its gone and I really want to do it.

*crying in corner* :cry:

I don't know the specific show you are trying to get information about, however I found several things:

DIY channel (same folks as HGTV) had a lot of Simply Quilts content. There are still some things on HGTV:

http://www.hgtv.com/simply-quilts/no...ing/index.html

http://www.hgtv.com/simply-quilts/do...ilt/index.html

Or, DIY network has a online video channel:
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ct..._leader/text/0,,DIY_26336_67830,00.html

The program on HGTV showed "Rings that Bind" by Cheryl Phillips.
    The website-http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/ringsgallery.htm.

I will tell you it is not as easy as they made it out on the show. I would not try it if I were a beginner quilter.

Angie

There are so many resourceful people on this forum! Ask and ye shall receive! And I didn't even know I wanted it! But another item for my bucket list! :?

I am on strike against Alex Anderson. Greed has ruined her for me.
    Have you seen how much they want to watch thier shows? And it is only quarterly, not even for a yr.
    She is the only one who dosnt have her shows on other video web sites.
    Good ol Eleanor Burns has her shows everywhere and her website is very reasonable for fabric etc and shipping.
    QNN used to be free videos till Fons and Porter bought it out, now it is 24 dollars a year, but that is not a bad price for all those videos.
    Full length videos are still free on http://quilterstv.com. Dont know how long that will last.

I agree with you, it seems like more and more people want money, not the joy of making quilts! :evil:

Blog Entries
    Just my thinking only: Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms and Mark Lipinski seem to be flaunting quilting to the point that it doesn't matter what they put out there quilters will scoop it up. And apparently many do. I buy from E Burns QIAD site, she doesn't push $27 a yard hand dyed fabric.

Blog Entries
    Rings That Bind takes double the amount of fabric to make a quilt. It is nice that it's finished when you make the last block. No quilting or layering required. If I remember, it was going to take about 45 yards to make a king size quilt. I have the book I'll look it up.

I have the book to do that with,I have one block started. But quite befor I got very far. Need to get back at it. If you want the name of the book,I can send it to you. But my sewing is down starirs so when I go back down there the next time,I will write down the name of the book,if you need it.

Guess I should have read on father down,that right the name of it is Rings that bind.

The video is at this site:

http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/

You will need to click on wall hangings and then scroll down until you see “Rings that Bind”

Banned
    DIY simply quilts episode finder : http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/episode_archive/0,2019,DIY_15080_390,00.html Annie

I know Alex personally, she belonged to my guild in Northern California and lives in Livermore. I can remember when she had her first book, and her dad sold quilt frames, before the days of her show on TV.

Quilting has become such a big business, even gadgets that use to be a resonable price and used for other things, once they can be used for quilting they change the name, repackage and double the price. I guess it is thanks to all of us. People have finally realized what an art it is.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Quilting has become such a big business, even gadgets that use to be a resonable price and used for other things, once they can be used for quilting they change the name, repackage and double the price. I guess it is thanks to all of us. People have finally realized what an art it is.
    I actually complained to the Accuquilt people last week about this. The latest die that I bought for my die cut machine was on the Accucut website for 25% less, so I ordered it from them. Accuquilt called me to tell me it was a mistake and should have been on THEIR website at a higher price. ugh. I complained to them that just because you sell it to quilter's you shouldn't jack up the price. FYI, for those who don't know, Accucut and Accuquilt were formally just Accucut, but the quilting part "branced" off to form a "new" company. I don't understand, you still call the same number for both companies, can still talk to the same cust serv. reps. It doesn't make sense, except to gouge the quilt market.
    just my rant for the day.
    Rose Hall

First it was Simply Quilts that disappeared.
    And in our local market, PBS then took Sewing with Nancy off the air.
    Then Quilt ina Day left the airway and showed up on RFDTV Channel 231 on Saturdays. 'then RFD took it off of Saturdays and moved it to Wednesdays at 1:30 PM and 11:00PM same day.

Then we had Sewing with Nancy, America Sews and Fons and Porter on our PBS station Saturdays only at 7AM!....Great!. at least they were on the air..then last week they cancelled Fons and Porter.

I have been watching DIY and HGTV for the past several years, hoping that they would bring back our sewing and quilting shows, to no avail.

They say that consumers are the deciding factor. I believe that it is the cost of the programming.

You don't see any of the Hunting, Fishing and Gun shows going off the air, do you? Men are the program managers normally.( at least when I was working for NBC) Enough said.

I guess our voices are the only hope. So call your local PBS station and contact DIY and HGTV via email and let them know that they have a huge audience out here waiting for our programs back...or maybe something new in the same category.

More people are going to start sewing again with the economy and fashion prices the way they are.....so why not cater to us and get us to watch their stations or channels.

I will get off this soap box now and hope that the program decision makers see the error or their ways.

Diana in Texas

Banned
    Very well put Lady Diana ! I sure miss Simply Quilts ! I learned a lot watching the show . Poof , gone . At one time there was a longarm show on PBS { Linda's longarm } , only got to see 3 or 4 shows , poof , gone . I thought I could learn to free motion on my little machine by watching Linda , well that didn't last ! Does it do any good to complain to hgtv or diy ? I signed the petion to bring back S Q , never heard anything more about it

Well now this is my learning place :D ! We have an area bookfair , they have quilting books very reasonably priced . I jusy bought Kathy Sandbach's- Show me how to machine quilt for $1.99 ! It seems like you get interested in a quilting show and they take it off . Well I say crap to that ! All the men shows , do it yourself shows will last forever .

Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    First it was Simply Quilts that disappeared.
    And in our local market, PBS then took Sewing with Nancy off the air.
    Then Quilt ina Day left the airway and showed up on RFDTV Channel 231 on Saturdays. 'then RFD took it off of Saturdays and moved it to Wednesdays at 1:30 PM and 11:00PM same day.

Then we had Sewing with Nancy, America Sews and Fons and Porter on our PBS station Saturdays only at 7AM!....Great!. at least they were on the air..then last week they cancelled Fons and Porter.

I have been watching DIY and HGTV for the past several years, hoping that they would bring back our sewing and quilting shows, to no avail.

They say that consumers are the deciding factor. I believe that it is the cost of the programming.

You don't see any of the Hunting, Fishing and Gun shows going off the air, do you? Men are the program managers normally.( at least when I was working for NBC) Enough said.

I guess our voices are the only hope. So call your local PBS station and contact DIY and HGTV via email and let them know that they have a huge audience out here waiting for our programs back...or maybe something new in the same category.

More people are going to start sewing again with the economy and fashion prices the way they are.....so why not cater to us and get us to watch their stations or channels.

I will get off this soap box now and hope that the program decision makers see the error or their ways.

Diana in Texas
    Ditto I understand about the gazillion hunting, fishing, gun shows AND racing! It's 24/7 - ask me how I know this....... I have stopped even searching for quilting shows any more. I guess they make more money selling the DVDs?

then whe you try to sell your quilts,they don't want to give you any thing for them.

I had one of mine on a garge sale once just to see if I could sell it,some guy came along and grabed it up,I had $300 on it,he thought it sad $3.00,I just said you got to be kidding after all the work I put in on it. He took it back and laid it down.

Blog Entries
    :( :( :( Oh, Lady Diana, You have just made me feel quite depressed.
    Today I got a CD that means I will be able to watch TV on my laptop, programmes from all over the world. I purchased it specifically in mind so that I could watch all your quilting programmes that you have enjoyed in the USA for seemingly many years.

Now you tell us that you are fast losing them all!!! In the UK and Ireland, if you subscribe to Sky TV (in my case it has to be a satellite connection), we have just got our first quilt programme, 'Quilt in a Day'. We are so excited, every quilter is phoning her friends to tell them about it. We have also been recommending them to email the Channel, to tell them how delighted we are, just to let them know we are all out here and watching.

Please keep up the pressure on your channels to stop them from taking the quilt programmes off their schedule or I will have wasted my money on my CD.

Why arent you watching them on line?
    http://quilterstv.com
    It is free.
    If you will pay 24 dollars a year you can watch full screen videos, and they have alot of them, on QNNTV.
    I have a dvr and record what shows are left on TV but mostly I watch online. You do have to have high speed internet connections.

Blog Entries
    I do have a broadband connection now, but only recently got it, and many of my quilting friends are still on dial up, as broadband is not universally available in our area. I got the CD because it seemed an easy option and was a one off payment of $20.