Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharon Schamber's basting method ??? >

Sharon Schamber's basting method ???

Sharon Schamber's basting method ???

Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Okay, I've watched the YouTube videos of her basting method where she rolls up the backing and the top on boards. It looks like a very good method to use. BUT has anyone done this with a large quilt - a queen or king size? It seems to me one would have to have a table surface the full width to manage the rolling up process. Would love to hear from someone who has done this with a large quilt.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Thats the same thing I thought.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM

I tried it with a smaller quilt but my table wasn't substantial enough. I tried doing it on a narrow folding table that was 20 inches by 4 feet. I could tell it would have worked if I had done it on like a dining room table. It was still a little more work than her tiny sample. Still it beats crawling around on the floor!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM

If you do it on a dining room table, you can let all the layers hang off the one side of the table, start winding one end onto 1st board, when you get to the middle, put the 1st board on 2 chairs pushed up to the table, then go around to the other side and push the layers toward the 1st side, then start winding the other end onto the 2nd board. You'll have to pick up the 1st board off the chairs and put it back on the table right before you are finished winding the 2nd board. But it works!!

Clear as mud? Hard to explain in words...I'm a real visual person!! :-)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM

I've used the method using my dining table with a twin size quilt. It worked for me. Better than the floor.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Would a big bed work better. I baste my quilts on my king bed and it works great. Have not tried using the boards but I do spray baste and it works great. Using boards would be helpful.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the bed idea. I've always use curved safety pins, but the basting looks much easier in the long run. And the weight of the boards should help with keeping the fabrics taut.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM

I've done my King size quilts on the floor up to now.

I have a dining room table that expands to 102" long so as long as my boards are long enough, the dining room table will work.

The bed idea is a good one, but I would put a large rug or other stiff board under the quilt so you don't get the bedding accidentally basted onto the back (been there, done that!) ;)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
I've done my King size quilts on the floor up to now.

I have a dining room table that expands to 102" long so as long as my boards are long enough, the dining room table will work.

The bed idea is a good one, but I would put a large rug or other stiff board under the quilt so you don't get the bedding accidentally basted onto the back (been there, done that!) ;)
Because I spray baste, and do not use pins, I don't need to put anything under the quilt. I do have a large flannel sheet that I put over the bed to protect from over spray and it actually helps to hold the quilt in place while adjusting everything.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 AM

I used her method to baste a king size quilt. I used 10' boards and this was the absolute best technique I've learned in a long while. I was able to use my large dinging room table to do it on. The boards (and quilt) did hang over the table a bit but I was able to move the boards and quilt down to one end of the table to be able to have the table under the area I was basting. Then when I got to the other end, I just pushed all whole quilt the other way. I also quilted my masterpiece on my Janome and was very pleased with the results.

/Users/user/Desktop/2009-07-20 5 Wrapping quilt on board to baste.JPG
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108654.jpe