Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SHIPPING? >

SHIPPING?

SHIPPING?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 PM

THANK YOU GUYS!!!! You did just what I figured and had GREAT ideas and suggestions based on knowledge and experience. You ALL are SUPER!!!!

Okay, I think I have missed something, can anyone tell me how they keep shipping cost down while selling, trading or donating? I went to PO this afternoon to ship one mag and one piece of material, turned out to be 4.95 each for flat rate envelope. What do you all find the best way to ship trying to keep cost to minimum for everyone's sake? I don't know if I should post this here or there or somewhere else but I need your advice, I've got lots of material to sell and want everyone to get the best deal! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

I got the same shock when I sent out a bit of fabric and a couple magazines to different people-and I was just donating them. I guess the trick is to stuff the envelope or flat-rate box to the gills to get the best value!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Sometimes the flat rate is not the cheapest way to go. My experience is that it really has to be packed full ( I mean really full) to be of a cost savings. Every time I have used one I ask what the cost is if its not the flat rate. From experience I learned only heavy items are really worth it. Many like the convience plus the free boxes of the flat rate.
Remember , magazines, and books can go media mail ( much cheaper but slower) , so you may be better of sending two packages one media and the other with fabric regular first class or parcel post.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Yes, postage is awful. That is why I stuff the flat rate envelopes until I have to fight to close them! I reinforce the inside of the envelope to strengthen it and then I stuff it like you wouldn't believe!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM

I have sent single pieces of fabric in a regular envelope..legal size...also, if it's just a magazine you're better off to put it in a manilla envelope and mail it, not in a flat rate
Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

My experience has been is that if your item is less than 13 oz., first class is the way to go, cheap and fast. Heavier items are worth the flat rate. I buy the clasp envelopes in multiple sizes from the office stores, and use them for shipping things like books, patterns, magazines and fabric. I actually shipped two yards of fabric to Canada for less than four dollars(first class) in one of those! I forgot to say that I remove the metal clasp and reinforce the seams with tape.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Sometime first class is cheaper than media!! I was surprised to find that out. I try to use my own packaging (from things I've received) and then ship cheapest way. Less expensive than using their flat rate boxes. I always asked the clerk to give me cheapest rate. I usually add on a delivery confirmation if I'm concerned about it actually getting to buyer.

HTH
Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Send it by "media" mail. You can look this up online, estimate your postage, but nothing but the book, no advertising allowed.

"http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendm.../mediamail.htm"

Send your printed or recorded material using this service.

Media MailŪ service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs.

There are presorted rates available for bulk quantities of Media Mail (minimum quantity is 300 pieces).
A barcode discount is available for Media Mail.
Rates are based on weight and size.

You can go to this page and it will direct you to the next page to calculate postage.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM

A shipping scale is an essential tool to have on hand. I use mine for shipping, in the kitchen weighing food etc. They are cheap on ebay.
I use empty cereal boxes for small amounts of fabrics, shirts & any thing that is light weight. I wrap it in Kraft paper & address it. Always making sure it is 13oz or less. I may have to cut the box smaller to get it to the 13oz or less.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really don't mind paying freight/shipping, as long as I don't feel like I'm getting gouged for it. Example...the other day I went to try to find a couple of the little quilt patterns only that come in the little plastic ziplock bags. It would be like mailing 5 pieces of paper. The company had the product on sale 1/2 off cause they were going out of business, but then wanted $14.00 shipping...NO WAY. I went to another company, still got them on sale (although only 10% off), but only paid $6.00 shipping...ended up being cheaper at the second company.

Moral of the story...watch the freight...you might be better off paying a higher price at a different store, depending on how much the shipping is...

Just sayin :)