Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SHIPPING? >

SHIPPING?

SHIPPING?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

I think mostly from the Buyer's viewpoint: I Buy six-seven yards from a single seller, for Flat Rate Priority $4.95. Or, send or buy 12 ounces or less, in a First Class envelope, for a per-ounce rate. That means I weigh it at home on a little scale. I think the key for me is to find bargain price fabrics in the first place.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by anniec55
Okay, I think I have missed something, can anyone tell me how they keep shipping cost down while selling, trading or donating? I went to PO this afternoon to ship one mag and one piece of material, turned out to be 4.95 each for flat rate envelope. What do you all find the best way to ship trying to keep cost to minimum for everyone's sake? I don't know if I should post this here or there or somewhere else but I need your advice, I've got lots of material to sell and want everyone to get the best deal! Thanks in advance.
Books can go Media mail - which is a lot cheaper - but you need to buy your own envelopes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Insurance is included in UPS charges only up to $100...over that, if you want it, there's another charge...I don't know about FedEx.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 PM

i also found out from my local post office if you take the metal clasp off the manilla envelopes it is cheaper, i don't know why but it is....
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Well, I've got to say that I've been mailing with the new padded flat rate envelopes for my larger orders and I LOVE THEM!

I can get more in the padded ones than I could in the regular ones. Keep that in mind when you do want to use the flat rate service. You can order these on-line at usps.com and they are shipped to your house for free...yippee!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM

My local dol$lar store has padded mailers and also carries clasp envelopes 5 for a buck. The clasp has to be removed or covered per postal regulations. This is because they are machine sorted.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM

I am in Canada and I find the whole shipping thing to be confusing and frustratiing ..I buy on ebay and I have seen the exact item with a shipping charge of $3.05 all the way up to $40 for same item..so I always have to ask...I bought 4 items...$16.50 shipping and yesterday I bought 5 more..similar items...shipping was $32...I know it goes by weight and size of package but today I called USPS and even the lady I was speaking to was confused...here it is very expensive to ship...I just paid almost 17 to ship a small box before Christmas..I wish they would make it even easier...and reasonable...Today i spent $57 on ebay and had to add over 30 for shipping..makes a deal go right out the window...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Administrator

the most convenient process involves buying a good postal scale. make sure it can accurately weigh everything between envelopes up to heavy packages. check the product descriptions carefully before making your choice.

next, set up an account at a USPS-approved provider of online postage.

don't pack it up, but do weigh the contents and packing materials together. then go to the postal program to determine the best option. once you've done that, pack it up, and print the mailing label.

(i didn't say this was the least expensive option. it's the most convenient. you can't run back and forth from the post office at 4am in your jammies. :lol: )
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

magazines can be sent parcel post (any reading material) which is less expensive...depending on weight it is sometimes less expensive to use a different package than the flat rates...the flat rate packaging is great if your items weigh quite a bit, you save that way, if it is very light it is more cost efficient to use regular packaging since the flat rate is...flat rate...if your package only weighs 1 pound it would cost alot less to send it out of that flat rate box...but if it weighs 10 pounds you will save going that way.
the usps web site is user friendly and you can put in different size packages and weights and check all of the options available to see what is most cost effecient.