Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shooting Star >

Shooting Star

Shooting Star

Old 07-02-2016, 05:55 AM

Default Shooting Star

This is by Edyta Sitar. I recd a newsletter from accuquilt a few weeks ago advertising a new Qube- dies for her designs. The one she demoes was called shooting star...looked cute, but I did not want the whole Qube, maybe just that die, if price was reasonable. Turned out die not sold separately, so I went to her website as someone here mentioned a template for it. Yes, she had it for $7 + s&h, so I ordered. It came in and I tried it..... First it was smaller than I thought it would be, and kind of tricky to cut that blade shape out- even with small rotary......talked to myself a bit, watched the quick video to see if the same size, yes, it appeared to be, and wrestled a bit...just used some scraps....had to stop at 1/2 star. Had to go somewhere....so it sits in my sewing room in pieces......but, I am glad accuquilt did not have the die available as I would have impulsively bought it ....now I've only paid a fraction of that cost, so don't feel so bad, and I don't think I'll pursue more than maybe a tablerunner with this template....then it will get filed in Dumb Purchase drawer! I think I'll try msqc technique too. Just wanted to try something different.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

We had a demo of that die and sewing the star block at guild meeting last week. It went together fast. My guild has several Gos so everyone got to cut the Shooting Star block. Sorry but I don't know anyone that has had any trouble so far as they all were at open sew day making it Friday morning. I haven't started on mine yet.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 AM

Good for you, Geri. Sometimes it's hard not to jump on something before giving it enough thought. BTDT.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Did you try the smallest Olfa rotary cutter they make?? I think it is an 18mm. I bought it when I started cutting hexagons.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:24 AM

The die cut is what makes this block easy. Every cut is the same, no frustration when joining the pieces. The die puts an indication where to place the small piece to sew on the large blade. Two passes and I have all the pieces cut to make one block. I think you would have liked the die much better then the template.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:30 PM

yes, I did use the small rotary.and the odd shaped template is well made...it has the cuts into the template at the intersection to allow for the cross cut, and after doing two - three layer cuts, I remembered how to hold the cutter to get the clean cut....

I was disappointed, and I wish I could have just purchased the one die from the set but accuquilt said "no" whole Qube had to be purchased and I was not about to "invest". The tricky part ( after doing one wrong -and redoing after I figured it out) was placing that little triangle between the two pointed wedges in just the right spot...I did not have any instructions..just watching the short promo about the Qube.....but I did figure it out, and after this wonderful holiday weekend, I will go back to my world, cut out enough for a table runner and show here when done.....if I did have the die, I might consider something larger.

Onebyone----- you are very fortunate to belong to a guild that is so up to date and Using/ sharing dies and cutters. I brought that possibility up to the guild here last year and got "deer in the headlines". So I am alone in this venture, but i can and will do this.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Onebyone----- you are very fortunate to belong to a guild that is so up to date and Using/ sharing dies and cutters. I brought that possibility up to the guild here last year and got "deer in the headlines". So I am alone in this venture, but i can and will do this.
I know that look very well. I quit one guild because of stingy purse strings. What is the reason to save thousands of dollars in guild money because the guild might need it? Need it for what? The guild I'm in now has agreements with the near by quilt shops to demo all the new items and offer the items at a reduced price to anyone that wants to buy from the shop. It's a win win. All the members keep up with what is new and how it is used.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:02 AM

That is a very progressive Guild! My former one was not one to try anything new, get an outside teacher, or do much of anything. They were very good at criticizing new members and teens who came to learn to the point that half the Guild members left and formed their own sewing circle.