Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shop Hop and just general shopping question >

Shop Hop and just general shopping question

Shop Hop and just general shopping question

Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 AM

I've seen all the beautiful fabric some of you have shown. My question is when you find something that you just have to have at a show or shop, but you don't know how you are going to use it right now. How much do you buy?
Linda/MI
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

For me it depends on the fabric itself. Some fabric I know I want to make a quilt but have no pattern in mind yet, some is for crafts like pot holders, totes. But I usually buy 2-3 yards of it. You can always match other fabrics to it later when you decide what you wnat to do with it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Well, I am thinking that it would depend on what you are buying it for. In the back of your mind you are thinking ?Would this be a feature fabric in the design, or a border print, or just a fabric you think might go well in a setting with other fabrics you have on hand, like a blender.

Usually a 2 yard cut is good. But if you are thinking you love it , three. If you are liking it, but not sure if you will ever use it .. a fat quarter might be enough. Hard to say really. It depends on how much I love it. And if I think it would make a good backing then I buy enough for that. I carry a little card with me that calculates the size of quilt backings. 108 inches is my queen size measurement.
Then I also sew clothing and purses, totes and hot pads, ect ect. So cutsie kitchen crafts a couple yards. See where I am going here?

It is hard to tell you what I would do. I have something in mind when I buy it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM

How much can you afford? Can you afford to have a large stash of maybes? I am beginning to rethink my passion! :? I am out of space! :(
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 AM

If it is a fabric I want to use for a focus 2-3 yards. If it a accent fabric for ? then maybe 1 1/2 yards. If it is something that I really really like and I have other fabrics that will go with it and it is on sale at a good price 5 - 10 yards. I am also running out of room to store fabrics but it hasn't stopped me, maybe slowed me down but if I find a great sale.......
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM

If the fabric is "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT FABRIC!" then I will buy a MINIMUM of 3 yards but usually 4 yds. Here are my thoughts on buying this kind of fabric:

1. If you use it for a focus fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use for accent in another quilt.

2. If you use it for a border fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use for accent in another quilt.

3. If you use it for accent fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use as focus fabric in another quilt.

4. If you use it as a focus and border fabric you have plenty of it. Will have a quilt you love so much you will keep it for yourself. Will have enough left over to use for accent in another quilt.

Do you see a commonality here?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 AM

I make lap size quilts, very few full size so I buy 1 yd cuts for my stash.
I only buy online sales that are around 3 dollars a yd. For backing I will buy 4 yd cuts.
Fat quarters I always buy 2 of the same fabric that way I have 1/2 yd to use.
Charms I will buy 3 or 4 packs of the same one but only on sale. 4 dollars is my limit. Then I will buy matching fabric for borders and sashing.
Im getting a nice selection of fabrics in my stash.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
If the fabric is "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT FABRIC!" then I will buy a MINIMUM of 3 yards but usually 4 yds. Here are my thoughts on buying this kind of fabric:

1. If you use it for a focus fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use for accent in another quilt.

2. If you use it for a border fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use for accent in another quilt.

3. If you use it for accent fabric you have plenty of it. Will have some left over to use as focus fabric in another quilt.

4. If you use it as a focus and border fabric you have plenty of it. Will have a quilt you love so much you will keep it for yourself. Will have enough left over to use for accent in another quilt.

Do you see a commonality here?
I just love this! Isn't simplicity beautiful?!? :D :D
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

When I started out 17 years ago, I lused to get a quarter of a yard. I wanted lots of variety. Well, I have the variety and never enough to start a decent sized project. Now........I buy 2 full yards no matter what. If I do know what I will use it for, I calculate how much before I buy. I am always afraid that I will run out.