Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shop Hops - Yes or No? >

Shop Hops - Yes or No?

Shop Hops - Yes or No?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I haven't gone on one since one shop was added to our local shop hop that was not local. It takes about an hour to get there and then an hour back so it's too much for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
Can you tell me where or who to contact for information on these hops? I have a friend on the West side who might be interested in a road trip! We are both getting cabin fever. LOL
I sent you a PM
Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Went to Oregon one year to visit my sister and we did a Shop Hop. I don't remember how many shops, but I do remember it was 3 States. Boise Idaho, Oregon of course, and Meg Hawky ( Crabapple Hill Designs)opened up her design studio, to the shop hop, which is located in Washington St. We had a fantastic time!! It was a once in a life time experience for me and I would not have missed it for anything!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM

I go on the one here. It's a $5 fee which gets you a block pattern and a fat quarter at each store. I go with a couple of friends. I don't spend much if anything at the stores. Each store has a demo of some new gadget. It is a fun day with friends. I can not take my hubby along because he spends more money than I do in LQS.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 PM

I went on one and our quilt club took a bus. We played games, the driver got lost, but we had a lot of fun. At each stop, we got a block pattern, the finished quilt was somewhere along the line for us to view, but then you have all the blocks for a quilt. I missed one and got it from a friend. It was a wonderful day out, and I even had time to go to an antique store and buy a small oak corner cabinet, which the bus driver was kind enough to put it below. I would do it again. I wished afterwards that I had bought more of the fabric I saw. Oh, well.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 PM

I have been on the one in Phoenix twice. We are blessed with a HUGE amount of quilt shops. I go with 2 friends and one of them drives. I pick a theme and buy FQ's. My theme this year was gray/yellow. The other year was blue and white. I am making a blue and white quilt right now out of them. They demo new things and once and while I will buy one of those if it can really help my quilting. I love seeing all the shops but would not go alone because I get lost too easily. They have a pattern for a quilt at each shop of one block but I have not gotten them. You have to buy a $5 passport and I skip that. You are also entered into drawings if you visit every shop. I am not sure if we saw all of them or not.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Then there is a big one on the Oregon coast I would like to do, 2 weeks the length of the coast prob 3 days for us old folks, plus you get the best scenery in the world !! Native Oregonian
. I've never been on a shop hop but would like to do the one in Oregon. I heard about it when visiting a small shop north of Lincoln City. (Can't remember the name of the shop or the town.) The drive down the coast would be a treat in itself.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Power Poster

I have done shop hops in the past and the ones I did stop at did not have food besides one place. Another place did have some chocolates in a bowl. One year I stopped at only one local shop and I won their basket. I do feel I need some spending money and a friend in order to go and enjoy it. We pack lunches. For a long time now none of my friends and I have had much money for more quilting supplies or extra gas so we no longer do the hops but do go to shows once a year or so. Shows are nice in that there are many shops represented plus it is great to see the quilts.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 AM

For several years I did the Albany, NY area Shop Hop with my sisters. We had a blast though to do all 9 shops was a trip of well over 300 miles in 2 days. Every shop served snacks and bottled water. The best was a chicken salad from a shop in Woodstock. The shops' staff dress up for the theme of the year and work like crazy getting ready for the event. We collected all the parts for the shop hop quilt patterns but never made any of them. I did win 2nd prize one year- $25 gift certificate to each of the 9 shops. Now there are more shops over more days but finances are too tight so I've only occasionally gone to the 2 or 3 shops within 100 miles. I love to see the shops and budget myself to a few fat quarters or 1/2 yard per shop. I'm close to the VT and MA border so I can visit during their shop hops also if I wish, but I have so much fabric waiting to be used that I'd rather spend the hours sewing than driving, and I go to quilt shows instead where the same shops are vendors.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 AM

I agree with others on this thread. I completed my first shop hop last summer. It was a big one, there were 23 shops. It ran for a month. My husband encouraged me to go. In fact, he drove me to each shop and was an ENABLER to buy! The hop was from east to west coast in Central FL. Each weekend we chose several shops in a select area to go to. We got to see so many areas of the state that we didn't know existed. In fact, we were talking just the other day about that drive last summer and how much we enjoyed being in the car and just driving together. There was excitement for me to see all the new shops each weekend. Maybe it was because it was my first shop hop but I bought a LOT - but I didn't buy something at every shop. I got beautiful fat quarters at each stop. Granted, I have not bought much since that time but I haven't felt the need. I now have some new favorite shops to visit that are not more than an hour away - when I want to go on a weekend. I say go, go, go! And take hubby or a friend if possible.