Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shop Hops - Yes or No? >

Shop Hops - Yes or No?

Shop Hops - Yes or No?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Shop Hops - Yes or No?

I've been reading some posts about controlling what you buy, and so forth which got me wondering about going on our upcoming Vermont state shop hop. Last year I went to all of the shops in the state - 13, I think, for the first time. Three of them are within about 10 miles of my house, so I can easily do them, buy the passport for $7 and get the gift. Last year hubby went with me for a tour of about 5 more shops along the west side of the state, and another day a QB and I did a run up the east side of the state to complete the list. I bought something at most shops, but not a lot. It was great fun, but this year I'm trying to decide if I should undertake it again. Each shop gives you a little something - some a fat quarter, some just a little trinket like a seam ripper or something, along with a pattern. Most have a drink and maybe a cookie, but you still have to spend money on food as it's too cold to bring a picnic this time of year. There are some nice drawings, but I've never won anything at a shop hop, so probably won't this year. There are 11 shops this year.

If I just do it in one day it will be for me, more than 350 miles round trip. My Prius doesn't take a lot of gas, but it's still an expense. Most shops have something on sale, so I am tempted to buy probably more than I should. My buddy will be away this year, so I don't really have anyone but hubby to go with. He enjoys the trip, but it's not like being with another quilter.

Here are my questions:
1) Do you do shop hops?
2) Do you buy a lot?
3) Is it worth it to go so far to just stop in and pick up the freebies and enter the drawings?

If you are interested in going yourself, here is the website: http://www.vermontshophop.com Do consider it if you are in the area, especially with a group of other quilters. All the shops are lovely and the people are very nice.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Around here I it is not really worth it. I wish I could say that it was, but some of the shops are almost to Missouri and we just do not have the gasoline to do that. My sister and I go to the two that are fairly close to us, but we do not go overboard with the buying. A fabric has to "speak" to me to get picked.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM

I say go! I'm blessed to have a husband who Supports my hobby! It's a great day together hunting for new shops!
And lunch is included!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM

I did one the first time with a buddy and it was fun to see some shops that we hadn't been to. However I too end up feeling like I need to buy something so we decided this year to skip the hop and just go to the quilt show.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

It's fun to go with a few friends. I won't go with anyone that thinks anything over $20 is too much. LOL
Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 AM

I have one that I go on every year. It is the Central Coast Quilt Shop Tour. Been going for over 10 years now. Always with a group and we have a wonderful time. This year it is 11 "official" shops but we will stop at at least 2 others that still exist but are not on run any more.
Before going our group decides on a "Challenge" it may be a pattern or a fabric or whatever. This year we all drew cards from a "Quiltspirations!" card pack and have to follow what the card says. We shop for the needed supplies on this trip. We will do it in two days, Friday and Saturday. Usually at least one of us will buy something at each shop. We have our favorites that get most of our business. It is just so fun seeing all the shops and spending a couple days with wonderful friends.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM

The cost of gas makes it something that I can't do in my area as the shops are just too far apart to visit all in a few days time. That money spent on gas and the time traveling I'd rather spend on other things.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Only shop hop I have been on had a quilt designed by a different shop each year. At each shop along they way you received a piece if the pattern and a small gift. If you hit all 10 shops you had an original quilt pattern. We had 10 days to hit all the shops. 2 weekends included. Sometimes I bought fabric sometimes not. I collected there business cards and before I left there parking lot would make notes on back of card about what kind of fabric they carried and my impression of the shop. Most of the shops I have gone back to over the years, I have called them in the past looking for special fabric. LQS are few and far between in our area. One shop (the Buggy Barn) which is now closed was a 3 hr. trip one way. I try to do this hop with a quilting friend, we take a picnic lunch, find park, and enjoy the day with friends. You will be surprised what you can find in some of these small out of the way LQS. Cost of travel can be a problem so we take my Prius, at 48 miles per gal. the cost was minimal.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM

My husband and I went on our first shop hop this last fall and had a great time. He loved the trip too and wants to go again this year. He is not a quilter (Yet!)This was just a local shop hop through NE Oregon and SE WA. Then there is a big one on the Oregon coast I would like to do, 2 weeks the length of the coast prob 3 days for us old folks, plus you get the best scenery in the world !! Native Oregonian
Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 AM

I have never been on a Shop Hop and don't even know if any are held in our area but, IMHO, the SH is a gimmick to get quilters to their shops. I would say, that only if you wanted to do this for social reasons -- to be with friends or to meet other quilters -- then it would not be worth your while. I am happy to make my own little shop hop alone or with a friend. Choose bargain days if you care to or just to go "window shopping." And as far as the "gifts" and prizes go, with what you save on not going along with the SH you can treat yourself to something you really want or need.