View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM
LynnVT

Default Shop Hops - Yes or No?

I've been reading some posts about controlling what you buy, and so forth which got me wondering about going on our upcoming Vermont state shop hop. Last year I went to all of the shops in the state - 13, I think, for the first time. Three of them are within about 10 miles of my house, so I can easily do them, buy the passport for $7 and get the gift. Last year hubby went with me for a tour of about 5 more shops along the west side of the state, and another day a QB and I did a run up the east side of the state to complete the list. I bought something at most shops, but not a lot. It was great fun, but this year I'm trying to decide if I should undertake it again. Each shop gives you a little something - some a fat quarter, some just a little trinket like a seam ripper or something, along with a pattern. Most have a drink and maybe a cookie, but you still have to spend money on food as it's too cold to bring a picnic this time of year. There are some nice drawings, but I've never won anything at a shop hop, so probably won't this year. There are 11 shops this year.

If I just do it in one day it will be for me, more than 350 miles round trip. My Prius doesn't take a lot of gas, but it's still an expense. Most shops have something on sale, so I am tempted to buy probably more than I should. My buddy will be away this year, so I don't really have anyone but hubby to go with. He enjoys the trip, but it's not like being with another quilter.

Here are my questions:
1) Do you do shop hops?
2) Do you buy a lot?
3) Is it worth it to go so far to just stop in and pick up the freebies and enter the drawings?

If you are interested in going yourself, here is the website: http://www.vermontshophop.com Do consider it if you are in the area, especially with a group of other quilters. All the shops are lovely and the people are very nice.