Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I Or Shouldn't I?  Opinions, Please >

Should I Or Shouldn't I? Opinions, Please

Should I Or Shouldn't I? Opinions, Please

Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Should I Or Shouldn't I? Opinions, Please

I have a Baby Lock Symphony, 2 years old, excellent condition, works perfectly, and I love it. However, Baby Lock now has the Crescendo, with super lighting, fantastic needle threader, and a laser pointer that would make my sewing much more accurate. The problem is, my Symphony works great, and who knows if the Crescendo will sew as well. The trade in my dealer is offering is awful, but the price is right. What would you do? All opinions welcome.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I know you want us to tell you to go for it.

Playing devil's advocate, I would say that it's thoughtful practice, not a laser pointer, that makes our sewing more accurate. There will always be a bigger/better/more advanced machine with more bells and whistles out there. What will Baby Lock come out with next year? I can't think of a musical term to come after crescendo - how about fortississimo (that's as loud as possible)? grandioso? furioso? virtuoso?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Personally speaking, I would stick with the machine I KNOW is good, since I hate spending money, I also think that we've become such a "throw away" society that it's sickening. As dunster said, next year will be more bells and whistles, and your previous machine is now "obsolete".
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Is there a reason why you can't have both?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

If you can afford to keep it for a back up, then buy the other too.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM

That's what I did, kept all my babies and got the new one. I love it but I also like the others for different things. I can have a walking foot on one and 1/4 inch on another and top stitching foot on the third. I love sewing machines.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM

The crescendo sews way way better IMHO, I have the brother version the dreamweaver, I traded in my espire, the one before the symphony for it. I love the espire but it can't hold a candle to my dreamweaver. It has all the features of your symphony and more. the muvit foot is worth it alone and will sew through more layers than your symphony ever could. Its scary when stuff is new but my machine I have had it for a year and a half and it has been problem free, smooth sailing and I purchased mine the month they came out so again it is your choice, but if I had to do it again I would trade in a heartbeat, also if you don't think they are fair in the trade you can also try to sell privately. There is nothing I don't love about the machine other than the heft as it is about 20lbs heavier than the espire but it is rock solid and well built so the weight can be overlooked. Features worth the trade in-way way better lighting, when they say stadium they mean stadium, the harp way bigger, the needle threader while did take a minute to get used to I love it, muvit foot even if all other features didn't exist I would trade just for this foot, the laser haven't used as much but has come in handy, the pen, I actually use this more than the laser, all the features you love in your symphony are still present, a lot of nice stitches including the ability to use the new FMQ couching foot, comes with all your accessories you need, the ability to use the multifunction foot pedal, if not giving you a good deal on trade maybe ask that this be thrown in because it is awesome. If you have any questions you can pm me since I have had my machine awhile I should be able to answer any questions you might have
Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM

I don't know anything about the machines but do agree that you will get more for your machine if you want to sell it if you do it privately. I am not real big on putting things on craigslist or ebay but if it were me I would try placing an ad (usually about $10) in my guild newsletter, putting the word out to friends/sewing buddies, etc as they may know someone also check with your LQS if you are a frequent customer and they don't sell machines, some have a bulletin board or even just letting the girls in the shop know. I recently had a friend wanting to sell her Bernina 200 and honestly didn't think I knew anyone who would be interested but mentioned it at one of my sewing retreats and had 3 people want it, so you just never know.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM

If you lived closer to me, I'd probably offer to give you $10 more than the dealer so you can get your dream machine!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM

PlanoDebbie, I wish you lived closer, too.