Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I use batting in a baby quilt? >

Should I use batting in a baby quilt?

Should I use batting in a baby quilt?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 AM

Reading this I have a question about how successful it is to use cotton with a flannel back without it puckering after washed. I have stayed away from this for fear it wouldn't work. I do love the feel of flannel for a infant.
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I almost always use flannel on the back of baby and kids quilts! Makes them cozy, snuggly soft. Can not think of a reason not to use what you bought. I also always use batting.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

i lived in south florida for almost 30 years. there were lots of times i used an extra quilt or afghan to ward off the chill... especially when someone has the a/c cranked too low
Old 11-03-2015, 10:30 AM

I have prewashed the cotton as well as the flannel and put each piece in the dryer in the hope that the flannel and the cotton has shrunk completely.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I have recently read safety recommendations for babies, and they include no blanket on top of them. Instead quilts are used for "tummy time" or for décor. So, I put batting in all of my baby quilts and am then proud of the way they drape and provide a cushion for the baby on the floor.
Dayle is right. Newborns cannot use the quilts while in their crib. The better gift if you want the baby to use it right away is to make a receiving blanket so the baby can be swaddled while the parents hold the baby. Here's a tutorial:
http://blissfullydomestic.com/life-b...blankets/8543/

You do not put batting in a receiving blanket & you do not quilt it.

If you want to make a quilt, then I would definitely add a cotton batting. I like Warm & Plush, but Warm & Natural is also a good choice (or Hobbs Organic Cotton for true luxury). You can add a sleeve to hang on the nursery wall or else Mom can just hang it on the back of a rocking chair & use when cuddling with baby. At 4-6 weeks, babies can start using quilts for tummy time. Having the fuzzy & smooth sides will add extra interest. It's also fun to quilt lines & circles & shapes into the quilt for babies to explore with hands and eyes.

Once baby is a bit older, the quilt can be used as bedding (at a minimum the child needs to be able to turn him/herself over from tummy to back, but some pediatricians recommend against any bedding until the child graduates to a toddler bed). So many rules, but at the end of the day a quilt will last for years to come & bring many days of warmth and joy.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Thank you all for all the great suggestions!!! 😀
Old 11-03-2015, 05:26 PM

I prefer to use flannel for backing of baby quilts -- they will be used over the older baby, and are harder to kick off.
Quilt-Light (by Mountain Mist) is the batting I am using in a quilt for Florida relatives.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:42 PM

I would put batting in the quilt. I recently made a baby quilt with cotton front (with a few flannel squares) and flannel back. I washed the flannel before I used it in the quilt & when it was finished I washed it again & it turned out really nice with no problems. It was the first time I mixed two different fabrics in a quilt & was happy with the results.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:40 AM

The quilts I've made for babies in SE Texas have been flannel on both sides with whatever batting I had on hand - usually pieced together from leftovers of other projects. For receiving blankets I've used single layers of flannel. I've also used seersucker for receiving blankets when we were in Biloxi MS.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:37 AM

Over here quilts aren't used in cribs or cots but are generally used for tummy time or as a warm wrap whilst being held. My grandchildren slept in sleeveless sleeping bags with no quilts, sheets or blankets until they moved into their toddler bed. So now I am allowed to make them quilts for their beds!