Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shredding fabric....

Blog Entries

Shredding fabric....

I ordered some quilting fabric online. I wont mention any names as I can not remember EXACTLY (but I have a guess) It's been sitting on my shelf folded up for about a year, I decided I was going to use it this past week. It has been shredding on the edges. Now this FEELS great, I thought it was GOOD fabric. Its shredding almost like a rayon fabric. I have loose threads all over while sewing. I'm wondering if I should just chuck this top I'm making or will it be ok once quilted? Any ideas?
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Blog Entries
    Did you wash it first? Sometimes that will tighten up the weave. If it's really fraying, you might want to consider wider seams. If it's already cut, then I would use a smaller stitch length than usual and make sure that you quilt over all the seams, like maybe with a wavy line...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    As long as you still have a 1/4 seam allowance just trim off the strings without pulling on them. It should be fine once quilted.

I've noticed the last year or so more and more quilting fabrics ravel like crazy. These are from companies with good reputations and the fabrics feel just fine. I do believe they are starting to use a lesser thread count or looser weave to save money.

Worse case scenario, use it to practice FMQ or put it in a charity quilt for homeless where it doesn't need to be perfect.

I would con't. use a pretty sm stitch. As hopetoquilt mentioned you can free fmq and donate if you do not like it!!

The trouble I find with very ravely thread is the 1/4" seam allowance isn't big enough and they come apart over time. I'd use 1/2". If it's already cut, would fray check stop the raveling?

Is there any other problem with the fabric? Color fade or bleeding?

If it's #1 quality fabric, let the manufacturer know. They might not even realize the problem. If the manufacturer has a good reputation, they probably want to keep it and would probably want to correct the problem.

Blog Entries
    I decided to go ahead and finish this project and quilt it within an inch of its life. If nothing else it will be the picnic quilt this summer. I am going to look and see who the manufacturer is though. Thank You All!
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Blog Entries
    June Tailor [brand] Fray Block.

FrayCheck is another popular product.

i happen to prefer the JT brand because it's easier to apply.
    i haven't done a cost comparison.

get a couple of tubes. apply to every seam.
    adds a bit to the cost of the quilt but i am confident you wouldn't regret it.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Blog Entries
    I would startch the fabric it helps to hold on the threads. Try a light spray first if this doesn't work try a little more. Some of the quilters I know always startch before sewing anything because a well known quilter put this into classes. The startch is always by the irons in any class. .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast