Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help with shredding thread

I have a Designer 1 sewing machine. My problem when I try and free motion the thread keeps shredding. I have tried changing the thread-changing the bobbins from prewond to regular hus. bobbins-changing the throat plate from zigzag to 1 hole-changed the size needle exp. quilting, embroidery,universal-putting a magic bobbin washer in and without-changed color thread on spool holder and in bobbin-different feet exp q foot-darning foot etc -setting my machine on q foot or free motion-feed dogs up or down. I can change to regular sewing and it works fine.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried loosening the upper tension?

Try changing your stitch lenght to zero.

I have tried stitch length at zero still shreds thread but thanks for the response.

When I play with the tension the thread loops at the top or at the bottom. Thanks for the response.

I have tried looseing the upper tension but the thread loops then. Thanks for the response.

I get the best results with a topstich 90/12 or 90/14 needle. The topstitch needle or a metalic needle has a bigger eye, and really helps with the shredding. Not sure when you changed your needle what size and type you put in?!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have had that problem in the past, too. The only thing that seemed to help me was to slow down. I did all the things you have done and still had trouble, but I found if I quilted more slowly it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirlx
    I have tried looseing the upper tension but the thread loops then. Thanks for the response.
    You may need to loosen both upper AND bobbin tension. Whenever I have had problems with shredding thread and I had the correct size needle in for the thread I was using, it was a tension issue.

When using my domestic machine for free motion, I use a top stitch needle, lower the needle tension a bit. But I do not run my machine at top speed. The heat built up from the speed can cause the thread, any thread, to shread.

I know the "experts" say run the machine fast, move the fabric slow but that don't always work. After all, that is why there is a stitch regulator on longarms.

I have just tried the metical needle same results. Thank you for trying to help.

I have tried fixing both tensions and either looping on top or looping on the underside-thanks for trying to help.

My machine has a adjuster for speed from 1-5- I put the speed on 2 and same results-thanks for trying to help.

I once had that problem. I changed the thread and now I always use a top stitch needle. I don't have the problem anymore. Sometimes needles, even new one, can be defective.

You will never beleive this -- I think I hope I have finally solved the problem. I just put the feed dogs down didn't put machine on free motion or Q foot - did put free motion foot on and that seems to have solved the problem. Something in the free motion or Q foot adjustment on the machine is where I run into trouble. I want to that all the tried to help.

For get it I didn't try long enough. I guess I will have to make the 200 mile trip 100 each way to the repair shop. I am out of options.

Glad you were able to "fix" the problem. No, No trip Yet.
    Ok.K. did you change the needle, Did you rethread? Dog feeds down. tension adjusted. The right foot attached? Did you try a different thread? When was the last try you cleaned the path of the thread. It could be that something is causing it to shred the thread. Good luck!

One more thing.........Walk away for a while and then come back and try again.

Size 11 Schmetz embroidery needles seem to work the best with embroidery threads. How is your thread coming off the spool? Is your spool horizontal or sitting on a cone stand?

Try the needle and reversing the way the thread comes off the spool. Sometimes the rayone and poly threads twist the wrong way and will form a very tiny knot and the thread breads when it comes through the needle.

Use a top stitch or larger eyed needle. Thread generally shreds if it is too thick to go through the eye of the needle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirlx
    I have a Designer 1 sewing machine. My problem when I try and free motion the thread keeps shredding. I have tried changing the thread-changing the bobbins from prewond to regular hus. bobbins-changing the throat plate from zigzag to 1 hole-changed the size needle exp. quilting, embroidery,universal-putting a magic bobbin washer in and without-changed color thread on spool holder and in bobbin-different feet exp q foot-darning foot etc -setting my machine on q foot or free motion-feed dogs up or down. I can change to regular sewing and it works fine.
    Try a microtex needle, and make sure you are using GOOD thread. My D1 is rather fussy about thread; Guterman or Swiss Metrosene, or one of the high quality quilting threads. Shredding thread us usually caused by the scarf in the needle.

I have rethreaded the machine many times - clean regulary with my vacum attachment. Have tried the thread on a cone holder and on the machine. Thanks for your reply

I have tried a microtx needle with the same results. I think it has something to do with putting the feed dogs down that is when I have the trouble. Thanks for responding.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    my dear friend here has the same machine and she said that your solution was the same one she came to years ago..now she has older kenmore she uses just for the FMQ because she said the Designer1 has many GREAT qualitites, but FMQ is NOT one of them!

Ohhhhhh I feel your pain! I have a Janome and also deal with shredding thread and have tried Everything. A top stitch needle does seem to work best. One other hint that I don't think I've seen here is to place your top thread spool further from the machine (say in a coffee cup on the side of the machine) so that the thread has a longer distance to "relax" before it gets to the needle. (Maybe you tried the same thing via the cone holder.)

You've tried a new bobbin, right?

Since I haven't completely resolved this with my machine I am wondering if there is a burr someplace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast