Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: silk/satin quilt

i have a lot of silk/satin material, i was thinking of making a quilt with...i know i need a nice fresh needle, but is there a certain size to use? is there a certain type and size thread to use?? and what stitch on the machine should i use so it doesn't 'gather'???

The tension needs to be adjusted properly in order to have the seams not draw up other than that the option would be to put a stabilizer under the seam as you stitch it - then tear out the stabilizer afterward. Using a walking foot or a satin foot would make it easier as well, and use pins if the fabrics slide a lot. It will make a beautiful quilt, but more work at the beginning. I'd use a smaller size needle if you have options, like an 11...but check it with the thread you're planning use. Good luck.

You might also consider using a bigger seam allowance that 1/4". I made a purse with satin squares, and it didn't take very long (and no washing) for the blocks to start fraying at the seams. Of course, a purse is subjected to different stresses than a quilt, and my purse was not quilted, and quilting stitches might have stabilized it to a certain extent.

Blog Entries
    One of the owners at a quilting store recommended using an ultralight stabilizer on the fabric. It makes it less slippery to work with and reduces the fraying at the seams.

Also check you sewing machine manual.