Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine; how have you got on with it?

Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine; how have you got on with it?

I stumbled across a review of the Simplicity Rotary Cutter this afternoon and felt very disheartened as it said it was a waste of money. Having just purchased one, I decided to set it up - and, it works perfectly! Admittedly, I had some teething troubles. My husband had to turn the screw (anticlockwise!) because I didn't have enough strength in my wrists; it's a very tight adjustment! You need a reasonably large screwdriver because the mechanism has a locking nut on it. If you can slide a piece of paper under the cutting wheel when the machine is unplugged, the screw is not sufficiently tightened! The machine doesn't like polycotton but it cuts quilting cottons beautifully! It needs a bit of practice to cut straight! I have placed a piece of tape on the extension table (an optional purchase) in line with my cutting width to help me align the fabric. I've been practising on a piece of scrap calico and am really pleased with the results. I'm glad I bought the extension table as I want to cut lengthwise strips off of yardage; I think it would be very difficult without it as the fabric would drag down out of the machine. I've always rotary cut before but, with some arthritis in my hands, the pressure of doing it has become difficult. I mostly do log cabin so the Cutter seemed an ideal purchase. What are other people's experiences of this machine?

I have not been as lucky. I have this machine with the extension table. It will not cut straight. I have tried and tried for me it was a real waste of money. Glad you are having good luck!!!!!!!

I just put Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine into the search feature above and got too many links to cut and paste here. You might try it and see if there is any additional helpful information there. Good luck!

I got one for Xmas. I wanted it so bad. I haven't played with it that much. When I finialy got it to cut I was happy. But I seem to keep the fabric straight to cut. But I think over time i get it down and it will work fine. I tried with a very large piece of fabric I think it will work with smaller fabric. Hubby got it for me at Walmart.

I think I will have hubby inset it in my sewing desk like the sewing machine. Will help with cutting straight. Like your idea

Blog Entries
    There were 2 versions of this machine. The one that was originally introduced several years ago had many issues. I bought one and returned it within a week. It's my understanding that the newer models (Deluxe) are much improved. Some of the poor reviews were probably from the original version.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I have not been as lucky. I have this machine with the extension table. It will not cut straight. I have tried and tried for me it was a real waste of money. Glad you are having good luck!!!!!!!
    I also had a horrible time trying to make a straight cut other the machine. Seems like a waste of time and money for me since I can cut crooked with just my regular rotary
    :-) but to each his own