Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Somerset Val

Default Simplicity Rotary Cutting Machine; how have you got on with it?

I stumbled across a review of the Simplicity Rotary Cutter this afternoon and felt very disheartened as it said it was a waste of money. Having just purchased one, I decided to set it up - and, it works perfectly! Admittedly, I had some teething troubles. My husband had to turn the screw (anticlockwise!) because I didn't have enough strength in my wrists; it's a very tight adjustment! You need a reasonably large screwdriver because the mechanism has a locking nut on it. If you can slide a piece of paper under the cutting wheel when the machine is unplugged, the screw is not sufficiently tightened! The machine doesn't like polycotton but it cuts quilting cottons beautifully! It needs a bit of practice to cut straight! I have placed a piece of tape on the extension table (an optional purchase) in line with my cutting width to help me align the fabric. I've been practising on a piece of scrap calico and am really pleased with the results. I'm glad I bought the extension table as I want to cut lengthwise strips off of yardage; I think it would be very difficult without it as the fabric would drag down out of the machine. I've always rotary cut before but, with some arthritis in my hands, the pressure of doing it has become difficult. I mostly do log cabin so the Cutter seemed an ideal purchase. What are other people's experiences of this machine?