Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 191 & Singer Touchand Sew 629

Does anyone know anything about this Singer 191. It is a commercial machine and I have used it. I've been told I could make sails with it if I wanted to. It only does straight stitch back and forth. I know it is a work horse. But really 'know' anything else.

Also I was given the Touch and Sew 629. Got the bobbin holder (hook?) fitting out and can't figure out how to get it back in.

Singer 191
    Name:  Attachment-143143.jpe
Views: 1057
Size:  37.0 KB

Singer 629
    Name:  Attachment-143144.jpe
Views: 827
Size:  32.9 KB

I don't know anything about those machines. Just wanted to say that the 191 sure has a nice throat space.
    I have an 1932 Singer that is a workhorse, as well. But, like the 191 only does straight stitches. If you make any kind of heavy tote bags, that machine will do it. I use my old singer for tote bags and it will sew through the thick fabric like a hot knife through butter.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Grammy17, you may want to ask Billy or Charlee in the machine shop- they are very knowledgeable on old machines.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I don't know anything about those machines. Just wanted to say that the 191 sure has a nice throat space.
    I have an 1932 Singer that is a workhorse, as well. But, like the 191 only does straight stitches. If you make any kind of heavy tote bags, that machine will do it. I use my old singer for tote bags and it will sew through the thick fabric like a hot knife through butter.
    Yes, this one will go through several layers of denim like it isn't even there. This one was used in a garment factory in it's younger days.

I did the quilt by me name on it.

Thanks for the ideas. It does take a lot of space but when you need the power, it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Grammy17, you may want to ask Billy or Charlee in the machine shop- they are very knowledgeable on old machines.
    How? I don't know about the machine shop.

I think she means this topic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Sorry, Grammy, I'm in a fog today, as usual lol
    Thanks susiequilt for giving it to her!! :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    Also I was given the Touch and Sew 629. Got the bobbin holder (hook?) fitting out and can't figure out how to get it back in.
    Terry at T and T Repair is the guy who knows everything there is to know about Touch & Sew machines. (some people call them Touch & Throws or Cuss & Throws - might give you an indication of how much they're loved by collectors and repair people. ;) )

There are some free pdf schematics and diagrams on this page, one of which might show you how to get the positioner back into the machine: http://www.tandtrepair.com/600TandSstuff.html

Good luck! :)

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    Terry at T and T Repair is the guy who knows everything there is to know about Touch & Sew machines. (some people call them Touch & Throws or Cuss & Throws - might give you an indication of how much they're loved by collectors and repair people. ;) )

There are some free pdf schematics and diagrams on this page, one of which might show you how to get the positioner back into the machine: http://www.tandtrepair.com/600TandSstuff.html

Good luck! :)
    I'll check it out. thanks. I was pretty certain that someone on this list would have an idea.