Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is your workspace?

I am currently working from my dining room (which is the first room you see when you come through my front door). I'm not crazy about the clutter and will have to clean it all up before the holidays, but the dining room table is a great workspace. I would love a more dedicated space, so I may end up moving it all upstairs to the office.

Where does everyone else work?

Kitchen table. There are only three in my family so I scoot my machine to one side during meals. I have a large kitchen, so I have room for a small folding table that sits in the corner with serger, basket of tools and basket with current projects. The sewing machine goes there too if I need the whole table for company. I have plastic totes in the utility room for the rest of my sewing stuff.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have a spot right behind my couch in the livingroom. It is about a 6X12' area, this is where all my stuff is, but I use the kitchen table and my bed when needed. I would show a pic but it is a disaster right now because I have 2 large projects going on now, I can't wait to have them done.

I'm at a kitchen table also. My den and kitchen kindof run together. I have an "office" and a spare room I could move into, but I love it here!! So, my mess is always out in the open. It's probably for the best. If I could just close a door I would probably never clean up!

We have a spare bedroom - it's used for the kids to watch TV or play video games, me to quilt and also has a trundle bed for overnight guests. I use the closets in the room for my material and supplies and storage. Wish I could have a cutting table, but I just move the machine off the table when I'm cutting. I can shut the door when it looks too cluttered, but I like to keep it fairly neat and organized.
    I iron in the laundry room - across the house, but the iron in the spare bedroom will make the lights dim if I use it there - don't want to cause an electrical disaster...

Spare bedroom here, too but there isn't a bed in there,anymore.

Blog Entries
    In the smallish spare bedroom alongside the Computer---that's why I don't get a lot done!!!

I took one of the bedrooms when the kids left. I used to have a daybed in there but I decided that if I didn't have an extra room no one could stay...LOL. I now have my cutting table open all the time. I have my stach in cabinets and my husband put cabinets on the wall for my misc. quilting stuff. I love my room and spend a lot of time in there.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    We have a long bedroom. I'm at one end of it, along with my husband's dresser. (I posted photos of it a while back.) Pretty cozy, but it's working okay. I use an old, high enough for me (I'm 5'3" ) butcher block table as my cutting table, and my machine is on a good-sized desk. I just wish I had a table for projects and second quilts.

I work out of what used to be a garage. Its attached to the house and is a living space now, no door between it and the dining room and the kitchen. And yep everyone that comes to visit comes through my sewing room, simply because its the easiest outside door to get to. Sometimes its a bother but for the most part I dont mind. At first I felt like I was on display and didn't like it. But now I just say excuse my sewing mess and invite them in. Its really nice having a sewing room as large as what I do. A one car garage, if they dont like my mess oh well. DH says its your studio and work work area just like my garage, dont worry about the mess its not really a mess its work in progress. The rest of our home is clean and tidy so people understand, I hope. If not thats there problem not mine.

I have two empty bedrooms. The front room has my sewing table and my stash and my notions. The back bedroom will have my cutting table (when it's finished), the ironing board and stuff I haven't yet figured how to store. (I am a compulsive online shopper) :? :? :?

I just recently moved to the basement. I was working at my kitchen table, but after finishing my first, then second, then starting my third quilt, I knew I needed a dedicated area. With young children, I can't always put everything away when I have to stop, so it was taking over the kitchen and meals were delegated to the living room! lol

So I moved all of my "stuff" down to the basement (after spending several days organizing my basement), set up a play area for the kids and a dedicated sewing area for me. That way we can all go down and "play" within sight of each other, and if I have to just leave it all laying out, I can. And I prefer it that way when I'm in mid-project. I find that when I have to clean up when I'm done working for the moment, or haul it all back out to start again, I'm not as motivated to actually finish it. At the end of each project, I do clean up and organize everything...so I can start a new one without the clutter! :lol:

community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    I am lucky enough to have a bedroom just for a sewing room, the original home owner had a closetless room she used, but we're using it for an office now.
    The bedroom has big closet, 1/2 with shelves, some I hang fabrics on hangers for specific projects. Enough room I have an old heavy legal office desk, perfect, no bounce on machines, drawers for supplies, and two pull out side wings, one has iron, the other cutting. Then those tall fold out cutting tables for beginning cutting. A craft table for more supplies, my computer printer is there too.
    A book shelf for all the DVDs, books, and I take patterns out of magazines and put them in sleeves in 3-ring binders in catagories (baby, floral, holiday, table runners, etc).
    I have a smaller folding table in front of a closet door I keep a quilt machine on, and have my embroidery machine (much bigger) on the desk, keeping both humming at once. I have 2 good windows E & S for light, a couple table clamp lights (sewing & cutting tble), and the iron board set up in front of the printer. A tad crowded, but it's working great. This isn't the largest or smallest bedroom. I have a tiny rm with a twin & lots of toddler toys for a couple grandchildren, and a med rm with full bed set for guests. I've spilled into that closet & dresser with prearranged projects. Really need to get more UFOs done..but each class starts another UFO, and I love to keep learning.

If you can dedicate any space in the home, just to quilting, a corner in a room, have hubby build legs over plywood resting ontop a guest bed for more surface (cover the bed with a sheet protection). Most important, organize, and good light.

I took over my son's bedroom when he moved out after college a few years ago. It is upstairs. That said, while I enjoy having my own room...I do miss sewing downstairs. I had sewn in my dining room for at least 20 years. I liked the proximity to the kitchen and to the other downstairs rooms. I did not like the constant 'mess' in there. However, I have no intentions to moving back to the dining room.

Mine is in the basement (which has a walk out entrance). I created our house plans and the basement has a master bedroom & master size closet which I use as my sewing room & storage. My thoughts were later on if we sell, it would be an attractive feature to buyers to have 2 master bedrooms (one on each level)... plus, my daughter can come downstairs to watch television in the main part of the basement and can go outside and I can watch her play. The only bad thing is.. I'm down her most of the time and when the doorbell rings... it takes me a long time to get to it.

Kitchen table to sew. The rest is in the basement.

I have two bedrooms vacant since kids moved out. One has a bed in it with my sewing cabinet, books and magazines (by the hundreds), fabric, and 4 sewing machines. The other has cutting table, fabric, kits, works-in-progress, notions, etc. Both closets are full; both rooms are full. I can barely get to my cutting table. My husband and I were watching CSI the other night and it was a story about hoarding and finding a dead body. My husband said that could happen in my sewing rooms and I wouldn't even know the dead body was there. I think he's right. I want to build about half of our basement into a sewing room but I have to clean it out first (contains our stuff, both kids stuff, my SIL's stuff, my parents' stuff, etc.) but it seems so overwhelming that I keep putting it off. However, it does not stop me from buying more fabric, books, kits, notions,etc. I plan on retiring next year. Maybe then...

np3
    Blog Entries
    We have a bedromm that we turned into an office/craft room. DH built my sewing table and put wire shelves in the closet. I can now store everything in one room. However, I use the kitchen island for a cutting table and I set the ironing board up next to that. The bedroom is right next to it so it works. I don't have a great wall for a big design wall. That is my only disappointment. I put two banquet tables together when I want to sandwich or design something big.

I am blessed. My space is the upstairs game room. No kids, so I get the whole room to myself. I called it the Eagles' Nest, my husband, Keith, calls it the Crow's Nest. It doesn't matter what it's called, Keith has bad knees and very seldom comes upstairs.
    We bought this house specifically so I would have a place for my long arm. The best thing about having a hidden space is that I don't ever have to put a project away until I am finished with it.

Blog Entries
    Nice to hear all the catch-as-catch-can space users.
    I sew in the basement, although it's an above-ground bright area. In fact, my "complaint" is that I have no wall space because of all the windows! Almost all our guests walk in through this area, and it's all open so there are no walls to define a certain space as my sewing area so I have to consciously keep it from travelling around the house. The only real drawback is having to completely rearrange if we have company because it's also the area where we set up the spare bed.
    Like others, I let the clutter happen during a project and always clean up to start the next one with a fresh, clean area.

community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    I'm upstairs too, good exercise if we look at it that way.
    Getting the door is a mad dash.
    I'm working on hubby to give me the double garage, it's under part of the house, into a nice big sewing room, but I want to buy a long arm and that takes a lot of space. Then we'd build a triple garage which he'd rather have & deeper, and attach it to the side of the house. I don't like having a garage under the upper house. We had kids a year ago, in nice neighborhoods, start cars on fire in garages under the upper level of a house, very bad in double ways.
    I'm in the country now, but always think, what if. Plus, just would love to have that super large quilt room :> wish me luck, it be a project a year away yet, he gets a BIG shop first this spring.

This 9x15 tiny little room, about 100 feet from the house. Although I like the location down by the horses, it's just not big enough.

I work in a corner of my dining room. My stash and quilting frame are upstairs in my bedroom. I live in a small house and my grown kids are here too. All my bedrooms are full. :-D :-D :-D

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Weeeellllllll, my cottage IS my workspace!
    There are a TV and two comfy chairs that make up the "living room", and the rest of the space is for sewing, fabric storage, tool caddies, book shelves, thread chest, etc. The kitchen is at the end of this space, the washer is right in it.
    My bedroom and bath, both quite small, are the only rooms that are not my sewing space. Unfortunately the only wall large enough for a decent design wall is in the bedroom, so that will going up as soon as the Military Barracks Quilts Project is more manageable and then I'll truly be living in my studio. :?

Want to see some pictures of it? These were taken before I moved in. Sure wish it were still this neat!!

Jan in VA

This is the left side of the main "room".
    Name:  Attachment-113068.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  29.4 KB

This is the right side of the main "room"
    Name:  Attachment-113096.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  23.6 KB

View from sewing area into the kitchen. Note the washer on the right, now replaced with a front loading one.
    Name:  Attachment-113097.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  31.3 KB

Here's the front of the "Big House". I'm behind it on the left side and so is the original well house.
    Name:  Attachment-113220.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  79.5 KB

This used to be the kitchen of the plantation; porch and back and side wings have been added.
    Name:  Attachment-113221.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  49.2 KB

Jan, that's a great cottage!

My husband and I are full-time RVer's, so I sew on the kitchen table and have my tiny stash stored everywhere -- under the bed and couch mainly. When I need to sandwich a quilt, I can usually go to meeting / game room at the rv park where we are.

I really enjoy hearing about your lovely rooms. Color me green with envy!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast