Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 AM

I'm in my kitchen, but have one of those desk/shelf combos from Ikea... I still use the kitchen table for cutting. I've already told my husband that when we move, I need to have a space just for my sewing, lol!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105523.jpe   attachment-105524.jpe  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM

I work in a number of spaces. My supplies are mostly in "the back room, " along with my sewing machine table. I do my cutting on the kitchen table. I prop up my 4' x 4' design wall on the humidifier in the living room. When I'm working on a whole quilt, I move the sewing table to the living room because the back room is too cramped (and dusty). The living room is rarely used except for the holidays, so there's always something "staged for storage" in there. I take over the room as needed; with the understanding that I will clear out for the holidays. Some day when my son moves out, I will take over his bed room!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Lucky me, I have actually taken over the two small extra bdrms here. One is my is my studio & strictly that. The other, no bed in it now either, now has machine quilter frame in it, so am gradually taking over it too. Hubby would like to remove the wall between them, but as slow as he is about remodeling, I prefer to just leave it as is. At least I can use the space I have, & I love it!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM

In the 3rd bedroom, but
the Hinterberg frame is
set up in the living room
in front of the big window.
J J
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM

When we moved into our house 2 1/2 yrs ago I got the formal living room for my quilting space. We put a couch in it and entertainment center as well. Since then the couch and entertainment center have gone bye bye so I can fit in my new LA machine and the room will soon be called a quilting studio instead of the "sewing room". We hope to put up french doors to close the room off shortly since it's the 1st thing you see when coming in the front door.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Now that I am an empty nester, with 4 bedrooms, one is the office, one a guest, the master of course and last but not least I converted the second guest room into my very own sewing room. It is jam packed and organized or I wouldn't be able to find a thing. I also teach sewing lessons from that room so it has to stay CLEAN. Will try to get dh to photo and post the room.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM

I've devided...I have a spare bedroom, but it still have the bed in it and it's small, so the sewing machine and ironing board are in there. And I use my card table in the computer room to cut. So I am constantly going back and forth from room to room. I'd like to knock the wall out between the rooms, but not going to be able to do that.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Right now I am sewing in my "dinning room that once was".
Once upon a time I had a dinning room, then two little people came into my life and it became a playroom, then the big guy said "oh, the computer will go well in there", so
then it became a computer room, then when the little people
got a little bigger, a piano came in the picture, my poor
little sewing area...squeezed into the corner of my once was
dinning room". Now there are two little people again and one on the way, plus the two bigger ones, that never left.And the big guy, my poor sewing area is in captivity
under lots of stuff.....
Sew on, and Sew on....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM

I have a room that houses my quilting (complete with requisite TV and rocking chair), my scrapbooking and my computer............it's a large room - but still not big enough! A friend helped me build a countertop set-up so I have counterheight cutting space - he also fashioned a fold down ironing surface. I feel so blessed - I love my room!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
I am lucky enough to have a bedroom just for a sewing room, the original home owner had a closetless room she used, but we're using it for an office now.
The bedroom has big closet, 1/2 with shelves, some I hang fabrics on hangers for specific projects. Enough room I have an old heavy legal office desk, perfect, no bounce on machines, drawers for supplies, and two pull out side wings, one has iron, the other cutting. Then those tall fold out cutting tables for beginning cutting. A craft table for more supplies, my computer printer is there too.
A book shelf for all the DVDs, books, and I take patterns out of magazines and put them in sleeves in 3-ring binders in catagories (baby, floral, holiday, table runners, etc).
I have a smaller folding table in front of a closet door I keep a quilt machine on, and have my embroidery machine (much bigger) on the desk, keeping both humming at once. I have 2 good windows E & S for light, a couple table clamp lights (sewing & cutting tble), and the iron board set up in front of the printer. A tad crowded, but it's working great. This isn't the largest or smallest bedroom. I have a tiny rm with a twin & lots of toddler toys for a couple grandchildren, and a med rm with full bed set for guests. I've spilled into that closet & dresser with prearranged projects. Really need to get more UFOs done..but each class starts another UFO, and I love to keep learning.

If you can dedicate any space in the home, just to quilting, a corner in a room, have hubby build legs over plywood resting ontop a guest bed for more surface (cover the bed with a sheet protection). Most important, organize, and good light.
Sounds great, any possibility of us seeing photos? I seem to be organizationally challenged, my space is a " mess magnet"
:oops: