Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 301 on Craigs List, $260 - is this a good machine >

Singer 301 on Craigs List, $260 - is this a good machine

Singer 301 on Craigs List, $260 - is this a good machine

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Singer 301 on Craigs List, $260 - is this a good machine

I wish I new more about vintage sewing machines. I have been reading A LOT on this board about these older Singer machines and how good they are. Being unfamiliar with such machines, I have no idea if this is a good machine. The harp size looks larger, but I don't know the size. I have to say old machines kind of scare me - but that is more because I don't know anything about them (or what one does to find parts for them if needed, etc).

Anyone with this machine? Here is the info on this machine, and here is a link to the listing for pictures (in case my attachments don't work - http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/hsh/2793346487.html :

Singer Black 301 Model Sewing Machine in original case. Almost new condition! Comes with all original attachments- also includes extras such as a button hole attachment, automatic zig-zagger (plus stitch patterns for the automatic zig-zagger), additional bobbins and needles. Only once on a rare occasion does a machine in this condition come up for sale. Should last several lifetimes- These are said to be the finest sewing machines Singer ever made. This machine has just been completely serviced!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Singer 301.doc (241.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

The 301 is an excellent machine, black is probably the most desired color, and this even looks like the longer bed, which is also harder to find. I think the price might be a tad high, but not sure about that, and if it really has been recently serviced that would bring the price up some. The 301 is lightweight, not that much heavier than a featherweight.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Don't be afraid of older machines. Years ago everything was made better and made to last. Parts for this unit are easily obtainable. The price is higher on this probably because it was serviced. If I were wanting to buy a 301 this is a nice grouping. I would email seller and ask if price is negociable(?) and go from there.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM

If you do a search here using the advanced search feature there is a 301 thread. It looks in almost mint condition, and yes, you pay more for that. I own 4 and although I didn't spend that much, they all needed labor and or parts.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

looks great-maybe offer a little less than they are asking.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you for the advice. Funny, when I first pulled up a picture of one of the vintage Singers - my heart sank and I thought - oh my gosh!!! How could that still sew?!!! I am only accustomed to seeing today's modern, computerized machines. As I read more, look more - these are looking more attractive. I see that so many people love their Singer 15-91 machines. I think the harp space seems a little larger.

So didn't see myself going "backwards" as opposed to more modern when it came to sewing machines!! But now I am starting to think - hmmm...I should keep my eyes open, and perhaps one of these is in my future!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM

I do my piecing on a 301 and love it! The price seems a little high to me also, but if it has been serviced, looks to be in good cosmetic condition, is a long bed, and comes with a book and the attachments, that would make it valuable.

The 301 weighs about 17 pounds and is easy to take to classes. There is a handle on the top of the machine. It does NOT zigzag without the attachment. It has a slant needle, which adds to the ease of visibility while sewing. It shares a few parts with the Featherweight, such as the bobbin and tension assemblies. Compared to the FW it has much more space in the harp area. People love the stitch.

The 301 is collectable as well as durable. I don't know if you want to part with as much money as they are asking, but I don't think you would ever regret having a 301.

Dayle
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I do my piecing on a 301 and love it! The price seems a little high to me also, but if it has been serviced, looks to be in good cosmetic condition, is a long bed, and comes with a book and the attachments, that would make it valuable.

The 301 weighs about 17 pounds and is easy to take to classes. There is a handle on the top of the machine. It does NOT zigzag without the attachment. It has a slant needle, which adds to the ease of visibility while sewing. It shares a few parts with the Featherweight, such as the bobbin and tension assemblies. Compared to the FW it has much more space in the harp area. People love the stitch.

The 301 is collectable as well as durable. I don't know if you want to part with as much money as they are asking, but I don't think you would ever regret having a 301.

Dayle
I have seen "slant needle" several times. What is a "slant needle"? I am trying to picture how a needle can be slanted and yet sew straight stitches.

It seems like a nice machine. Can you tell me how much space is in the harp? You didn't mention FMQ'ing, so I am thinking it is not possible on this machine? One last question - would you know if the 15-91 has a bigger harp space?

I am thinking that if I do end up buying an older machine - I really need it to be in good working order. It is one hoop to jump through in having/using a vintage machine. Total other hoop to jump through with regard to servicing it (or having to rewire, etc). If I do end up with a Vintage at some point - will need to learn the other - but not at first or I think I would be discouraged.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Go to the 301 thread where all the answers to your questions are...
Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM

I love my 301 however, I got it at a garage sale with the cabinet (made just for her) and the matching storage stool in walnut with all the attachments and the manuals and it was $20.00 ( now, that was a real great deal). If you can get one for between $100 and $200 in this economy, that would be a good deal for everyone. However, $260 is not a bad price at all especially from the way she looks. Great machine, am piecing a quilt on her now and "Ebony" sews the most perfect stitch. Don't be afraid of the older machines, I have several and they are all a wonder to work with and I love the fact that they are low maintenance.