Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer House Party-Singer Thread? >

Singer House Party-Singer Thread?

Singer House Party-Singer Thread?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM

I applied for a "Singer House Party" and actually was picked. It came as a complete surprise I was chosen to do it especially when on the application it asked what my experience with Singer sewing machines was and my opinion....and I wrote my true opinion. "Back year ago when they were made in the US from metal parts, they were great machines, now they are made in 3rd world contries from plastic parts they aren't any good" (I repeat, this is only my opinion-not to malign anyone who has a Singer and loves it-the cheaper machines are wonderful when starting out. )

I guess they want to convince me they've changed. Who knows.

I have to go to my local store and borrow a Singer Confidence Stylist sewing machine, We get an hour of instruction and have to return the machine a few days after the party.

Well anyway, I received my party package the other day and it includes 16 3-packs of Singer brand thread. I didn't know that singer sold thread.

Has any one used it? What is your opinion? I tend to only use Gutterman thread because I have a Viking DSE as my main machine and want to keep the lint down as much as possible.

I'm doing something at work on Friday May 6 during lunch then maybe an open house type thing over the weekend. It's just so hard to get many people together at one set time with kids and their activities, work, spring time gardening chores.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I thought about applying too! How fun! I didnt know they sold thread either, would love to hear how it is.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 AM

I have never heard of this type of party. Is it something like having a Tupperware party and they are hoping that you are able to get some friends to buy this machine?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of it either. I agree though, the old machines are fantastic.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM

That's it exactly. Here's a link: http://houseparty.com/singersewing

They want you to be the sales person, but hey they give us a bunch of cool things to give out to guests and enough fabric to make a craft. A couple of real patterns-a skirt and bag pattern.

I'm trying to convert some of my non-sewing friends that sewing is fun and not as challenging as they might think.

The house party website has several different types of parties. I signed up for a couple others. It's all advertising, but hey it's free stuff to give to your friends.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I have entered a lot of them, and never gotten chosen to do one. This one sounds fun!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 AM

The thread is OK...but not Guttermann.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Well, guess I'll have to clean out my bobbin area a lot more frequently. Or make sure I give them to the party guests if they have a sewing machine.

Most of them don't know anything about sewing, fabric or machines so this will be a good beginning opportunity without a hard sale tactics that can happen at some stores.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM

I won a party also.... my package came last friday.
I recieved my call from the dealer, saying the hour class may be more like 2 hrs...
I was so excited to win this party...
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Great, good to see others got into it also. It took awhile to find people to come to my party and to pick a date.

Most of my friends all have high end sewing machines and 1-3 others just for fun. My co-workers at first weren't too interested until I mentioned we could do it at lunch time.

I always find it interesting how some people feel that it's an old fashioned hobby and only really old people do it.

Do you have people interesting in attending your party?