Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer vintage model 128 bobbin winding problem >

Singer vintage model 128 bobbin winding problem

Singer vintage model 128 bobbin winding problem

Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem..I looked in the vintage 128 topics and didnt see it..........when I wind the bobbins on it, it doesnt place the thread evenly...does not quite go to the right edge of the bobbin, and puts too much thread not quite on the end, on the right side, as its winding..is there somekind of adjustment that can be made? any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Is the Bobbin pushed in as far as it can go? Are you threading it thru the tension thingy for the bobbin...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 AM

Here's a good website page from Treadleon that might explain what's happening:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...vsshuttle.html
Old 09-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Here is Treadle Lady's video showing how to wind it and she also shows how you can bypass the little thing that winds it on and let your fingers guide the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreadleL.../8/GOu4-CG8RMU

Even with my new machine I sometimes have to "bump" the thread a little bit while it's winding onto the bobbin to get it all the way over to one side.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Even with my new machine I sometimes have to "bump" the thread a little bit while it's winding onto the bobbin to get it all the way over to one side.
On my older machines there is an adjustment that can be made...sometimes it's the last thread guide before where the bobbin is located when you're winding.

On one machine I "Bump" it...cause I haven't taken the time to adjust the last guide yet.

Can you post pictures of the front of the machine so we can help identity what piece to adjust?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Here is Treadle Lady's video showing how to wind it and she also shows how you can bypass the little thing that winds it on and let your fingers guide the thread.

thank you SO MUCH for this web site......what a delight it is to watch and LEARN........altho the 128 isnt a treadle, a lot of the things apply (and I am looking for a treadle too). Thanks so much, I am headed off to try the things she told me to do, with loading this bobbin....thanks to all of you for your help with this, you are all so wonderful....
Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here's a good website page from Treadleon that might explain what's happening:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...vsshuttle.html
Thank you so much for this site too, it has a lot of good information and I am trying to read all of it...thanks for sending this to me, I needed it! Now off to try the new things I am learning about this "iron lady" that I just got recently.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:37 PM

The modern repro bobbins are about 3/32" too short for the bobbin winder on the 28/128 to fill the bobbins evenly. You will get a dog bone effect or the thread will fall off the end of the bobbin and wind onto the pin.

If you can find some vintage long bobbins, it might solve this problem, but if you can't, it's pretty easy to guide the thread on with your fingers. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 PM

I find it easier to follower her bypass method than to wind the shuttles the proper way. I do this with all my shuttle machines.