Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Futura II 920 Bobbin winding problem >

Singer Futura II 920 Bobbin winding problem

Singer Futura II 920 Bobbin winding problem

Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Singer Futura II 920 Bobbin winding problem

I wanted to see how this particular machine operates so when I found one fairly reasonable I purchased it. It was running just fine, and I was able to wind the bobbin until I locked the reverse lever to change to one of the decorative stitches built into the machine. Now the needle will not pickup the bobbin thread with a full bobbin nor will it wind a completely empty bobbin. I have changed the needle and took off the bottom cover to see if there were in cracked or totally broken gears but everything looks to be in order. I have the manual so I have followed the directions for winding a bobbin and inserting a bobbin that has already been wound. I just can't figure out why the needle will not pickup the bobbin thread. Anyone here have any ideas. I know most of you are not fond of this machine and I really have no intention of keeping it but I just wanted to see how it operates.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM

It was running just fine, and I was able to wind the bobbin until I locked the reverse lever to change to one of the decorative stitches built into the machine.
I would say that is your clue right there. Some setting you changed has done something to make it not work.

Joe
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 PM

When mom had to wind a button on the TouchTronic the feed dogs moved. Forward.

Maybe you cannot wind a bobbin "in reverse" on Futura series machines?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 PM

I have a Creative Touch 1036 which is a latter model based on the Futura. Did the lever on the pattern changing knob return to the top position when you started to sew? Could the pattern selector knob be between stitch patterns? Are you winding the bobbin with on straight stitch, center needle position and 0 width? The bobbin latch should be to the right while winding and should go back to the left when you close the slide plate. Occasionally I have to remove the bobbin and rethread the machine if the thread isn't picking up but it doesn't happen often. If that doesn't resolve your problems it may be a timing problem.