Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Single Irish chain..... scrappy >

Single Irish chain..... scrappy

Single Irish chain..... scrappy

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 AM

It's doable. Another way to get a scrappier look is to make smaller strip sets. Cut your strips in 1/2 or 1/3, then assemble the strip sets.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I 've been a quilter since the day of making templates from cardboard and using scissors, so all my quilts were done this way...including the Irish chains. Yes, it's do able, but it is more time consuming,tedious for accuracy and frankly it adds so much interest in the fabric "sparkle" when completed. Just my thoughts.
I also remember those days and totally agree with Jitterbug!! You could make your strips sets to be much shorter making the strips 10" in length thus only making four strips from a strip set that would probably never been noticed and your piecing might be more accurate.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 AM

I am making one using scraps from my 1930's fabrics. I cut a bunch of 2.5 inch scrap squares and white 2.5 inch squares and 6.5 inch white blocks It is now about a lap size top. I just need to add a border and decide on a backing. I enjoy sewing small pieces together so it didn't bother me at all. It may not be perfect but I am okay with that.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
did you see this one? http://www.modabakeshop.com/
Oh, I love that! I does look like a lot of work though. You'd have to accurate with all of those corners...yee gads! Still, if it were me, I'd give that a try.

~ Cindy
Old 01-15-2015, 09:50 AM

When I first started quilting we never used strips because everything was scraps left from making our clothes. Believe it or not but it was hard for me to learn how to use strips, layer cakes, and charm packs and all of the fancy tools we have today. The only way we cut fabric was with scissors and if you wanted the width of fabric you would snip one side and rip.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM

thank you ladies.... as always... love all the answers.... and inspires me to get busy....
Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I have done them and they aren't difficult but turn out really nice. I tried to remove the picture because it wasn't the one I wanted but it won't "get lost". Sorry
Attached Thumbnails irish-chain-pink-baby.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I have done them and they aren't difficult but turn out really nice. I tried to remove the picture because it wasn't the one I wanted but it won't "get lost". Sorry
well, I am glad it won't "get lost" for it is lovely. what I wanted to say to you is I love the quilting pattern on this quilt. I is the first time I've seen it, and it works so well on a single Irish Chain. When I get good enough, or IF rather on my machine quilting, I'd like to use it.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=Lisa_wanna_b_quilter;7047762]I don't know if it is practical, but I've done it and will do it again.[/QUOTE

I agree! In fact I'm doing one now for a friend.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM

Yep... it's totally practical... but it is NOT fast! I always keep leaders/enders projects going anyway, so if I think I'm going to do a triple Irish chain in the near future, that becomes my next leaders/enders set. When I have enough of them, I go ahead and make my blocks up for that quilt top. That's how I did this one out of Christmas fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails ctic.jpg