Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Single Irish chain..... scrappy >

Single Irish chain..... scrappy

Single Irish chain..... scrappy

Old 01-16-2015, 07:13 AM

My second quilt was a blue single Irish Chain. I made it with three different blues, all on sale at a LQS as I didn't have a stash at all. I think it was made with 9 patches to start with. A very lovely quilt.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 AM

The second one, the single Irish chain is even easier, because it's simply 9 patches... I didn't use all different fabrics for each 9 patch, but wish I had now. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails irish-chain-1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM

Totally do-able. I did the Burgoyne Surround in a scrappy, after seeing pictures of one someone else on here did. All 1" (finished squares). Yes, it was a humdinger but my daughter and I loved it. I cut the 1.5" squares, literally put them in a bag and shook it up, whatever I pulled out of the bag is what I sewed.!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506390[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506391[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails candy-top.jpg   candys-quilt2.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM

About ten years ago I made a scrappy triple Irish Chain and it is still one 77 my favorite quilts!!! I put all the squares in a bag and pulled them out and sewed them on. The only rule I had was that if it was the same fabric I could pull another one. And I think I allowed myself to cut only three pieces from each fabric. The quilt fits a queen bed
Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 AM

This post is getting better by the minute. I'm glad I came back to it , wonderful Eye Candy has been added. AZJANE....
Burgoyne Surround is one of my top favorite patterns.I love yours and your quilting sets it off perfectly. And yes, the bag/scrap/with the rule of no changing the pop up from the bag is the way to go.(of course with the exception of not the same fabric just used. ) I apologize to others for the bump of this post, but I just loved the additional photos.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
Yep... it's totally practical... but it is NOT fast! I always keep leaders/enders projects going anyway, so if I think I'm going to do a triple Irish chain in the near future, that becomes my next leaders/enders set. When I have enough of them, I go ahead and make my blocks up for that quilt top. That's how I did this one out of Christmas fabrics.
I really love your Irish Chain, very nice.... can you explain leaders and enders.... I have seen that before, not sure I understand how you do it.... Also I am not a washer..... and I get scraps from others.... what about prewashing???
Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
Is it practical to make a scrappy Single Irish chain using squares not strips.... I wondered if anyone had done that?
I made one last year that was scrappy, and it is a little more work without strips, but it is not difficult. Go for it!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting! I love this so much!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
I really love your Irish Chain, very nice.... can you explain leaders and enders.... I have seen that before, not sure I understand how you do it.... Also I am not a washer..... and I get scraps from others.... what about prewashing???
Go to Bonnie Hunter's site http://quiltville.com/leadersenderspf.html. I'm not a washer either and so far haven't had any problems. I always wash my quilts with Color Catchers after they're quilted & bound.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I don't know if it is practical, but I've done it and will do it again.
I wouldn't hesitatee.
I've been cutting down my smallest scraps into 1.5" squares. At some point they will go into a quilt. I've done wide borders using them already, they were fun to sew. It's all needle and thread, so it's all fun