Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sissors Suggestions >

Sissors Suggestions

Sissors Suggestions

Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM

I bought the kit, Lazy Days designed by Toni Whitney done all in batiks. It is to do in memory of my Dad who passed away 3 weeks ago. The foal looks just like a filly we bred together, that we considered one of our best.
Once I received it, I realize it is going to be quite a cutting project. I have a "good scissors" that cuts really well, but way to big to do all these intricate pieces. I want it to be perfect so before starting, I am going to get a more appropriate scissors. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
(interested in seeing pic of the filly see here: www.thelakearabians.com I hope that is okay to post, no intention of advertising)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

I've always been told Ginghers are probably the best. I have some, but admit I like my much less expensive Fiskars, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 AM

I am sorry about the loss of your father. What a nice memory you will have though. I went and looked at the quilt and the picture of your filly....they do look alike. Beautiful! I have no advice about scissors, but I am sure someone will.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 AM

If it's a fusible web project, the very best scissors to cut those out are the serrated ones. I have a little pair of the Elan serrated ones that are perfect for intricate cutting. The serration cuts down on edge fraying. There are a couple of othr brands that make the embroidery size serrated scissors but I don't remember them right off hand.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM

My good scissors are Ginghers.. But way to big for this project.. I will go look to see if I can find a smaller pair..

Originally Posted by marymm
I've always been told Ginghers are probably the best. I have some, but admit I like my much less expensive Fiskars, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM

A pair of KAI Rag Quilting Scissors will probably work really well. They're small but yet very heavy duty. I have a pair myself. Infact there's an online scissor company that's having a free drawing for a pair. Just goggle KAI Rag Scissors.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Ginghers does make
several sizes.... I think a lot depends on what your hands are comfortable with.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 PM

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...728&cat_id=163

Don't have these not endorsing, but they might be what you are looking for

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...by=newArrivals
on sale at nancy's notions
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

My son bought himself a dandy little pair of scissors at Cabellas(sp). It that giant hunting/fishing place. They were for cutting fishing line and making flies? He saw me admiring his pair on vacation and bless his heart, he bought me my own pair. They are very sharp and were not very much money. Remember to look in unlikely places for supplies, I know many members buy their rotary cutting blades at Harbour Freight.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:54 PM

I love my Kai scissors better than Fiskars or Ginghers. I have the dressmaker size and the little applique scissors. Those have really sharp points.