Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames >

Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames

Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames

How many of you have had both sit-down and frame longarms? Which do you prefer and why? I really like that the sit-downs don't take up as much space and are less expensive, but the stitch regulation seems to work quite a bit better on the frame machines. Also, the frames eliminate the need to maneuver the quilt, which seems much easier - especially with designs that require a lot of movement, like pebbling. Have any of you had one or the other and then switched to the other type? Which did you like better?

Thank you,
Debbie
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I haven't had both - but when I bought my stand-up longarm one of the reasons was that I did not enjoy layering the quilt sandwich. Loading it on the frame is, to me, much preferable. However there are times when I think it would be nice to be able to start quilting in the middle of the quilt, and unless I stabilize the quilt first (so that it can be rolled back and forth) I can't do that on the stand-up longarm.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Hmmm, good point, I hadn't thought of the issue of not being able to easily start in the middle, which I do like to do. I don't mind layering the sandwich though. One point for the sit-down system!!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I think a lot of people greatly prefer one method over the other. I learned to quilt on a domestic machine but never enjoyed having to move the quilt while sewing. The first time I tried a longarm at a quilt show I *knew* it was a lot more fun for me! On the other hand, I have seen a few posts from QB members who never bonded with their longarm. Some converted the machines to sit-down longarms.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM

There is a place in Stover, Mo called Stover quilting that has converted stand up long arms to sit down with the frame suspended from the ceiling with the quilt rolled on it. You can watch the gals sew and boy can they fly on those things and are very accurate. They said it is so much easier to maneuver the quilt then it is to move a machine. Their quilting was beautiful. I have some pictures and I will see if I can find them and post them. I have an HQ16 sit down and I haven't used it very much, had health issues. The times I have used it I have enjoyed it. Like anything else it is personal preference and practice makes perfect. At least that is what I keep tel
ling myself.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Like Dunster, I have never tried the sit down long arm. I just could not quilt on my dsm, so I purchased my long arm..which I love. But I still keep thinking that I'd like to learn to quilt some small pieces on my dsm....just haven't done it. DJRustic, that set up in Stover sounds interesting...I'd like to see it.
What I really want to say is that you need to do whatever is comfortable and affordable for you. I like being able to quickly load the quilt and start quilting. I am not able get down on the floor and crawl around pinning a quilt. Whatever you do, have fun. Happy quilting.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM

At home I quilt sit-down on my dsm which is the same motion as a sit down longarm. I enjoy it but have issues with space for layering. I just got back from AQS Lancaster where I took 3 days of stand up long arm quilting classes which I took to see if I would like that. It took a while to get accustomed but I also enjoyed that. I think it is really a matter of space, budget, and whether you can stand being on your feet for long stretches (although I think you can get a chair that works as well) whether you like one or the other. You should really try both before you choose.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 PM

I like the the sitdown because of space. I have not used one on a frame but I am sure I would love it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM

I tried the sit down before I tried a long arm and I really thought I wanted a sit down. There were two issues that bothered me though ... I HATE hand basting the sandwich (but not as much as I hated spray basting, glue basting, and pin basting), and whenever I finished quilting on my DSM I would have to visit the chiropractor for neck/shoulder adjustments. So I bought a long arm. The down side to my LA purchase is that I don't have the space for it at home so it resides at our shop a few miles away.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:53 PM

I don't have the hand/eye depth perception to use a LA on a frame. I need the control I get with the HQ Sweet Sixteen. I also have a small condo. I love my SS.