Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames >

Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames

Sit-Down Longarms vs. Longarms on Frames

Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for their comments. The sit-down makes a lot of sense for me but for some reason I'm really drawn to the ones on frames. We went to a show recently and I tried some out and really had a lot of fun with them. My husband was pushing for the sit-down because of space and money issues. My sewing room is also a place for him to relax and watch TV while I'm sewing (he's got those TV ears things for when I'm actually using the machine) and he was worried I'd mess that up. I rearranged everything and convinced him the space would work out fine. Then I showed him how we'd be able to pay for it. Next thing I knew he was on eBay looking at longarms!! I'll let everyone know how it works out. Again, thanks for all your input!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 AM

It continues to amaze me that no one on this board every mentions hand quilting. I only machine quilt the blankets I make for Linus. Hand quilting is something I can do anywhere under almost any conditions. Since we didn't get a TV until I was 12 I have a lifelong addiction. When I need to get a lot of quilting finished I just get set up with my frame and my favorite show or movie. Hand quilting makes it possible to carry on a conversation or enjoy a TV show, movie or music without all of that noise. It can provide a topic for conversation if I have company. I didn't have to put out the money for the quilting machine and can do my hand quilting in as small a space as a half bath. I don't have to worry about accidentally sewing over my hand or fingers etc. My home is full of quilts. There is one thrown over every sofa and most armchairs in the house to protect the furniture from our cat. I do some kind of quilting or sewing everyday.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I learned to quilt on my Bernina and have never had any issue with a smaller throat. I have been lucky with winning a number of awards with my quilts. With my disability, I have drop off from competing in major shows.

I have seen picture of these sit down machines and there is NO support that one needs when sitting to do quilting. You need support on your left side to support the quilt and support behind the machine so that you are not fighting with the weight of the quilt. I really can't see how a bigger throat will make things any easier if you don't have the support that the quilt needs. I don't mean to step on anybody's toes!! What works for one may not work for another.