Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sizing issue >
  • sizing issue

• sizing issue

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM

I need some creative ideas!
    Here's the deal. I am making a double hourglass quilt with four inch blocks. The blocks are with a black/white fabric and scrap. I have tons of scrap, but ran out of the black/white fabric. The point of this quilt was to use what I have, so I realy don't want to buy any more yardage of this base fabric.
    I have enough of the base fabric for 300 4-in blocks (about 100 are finished). If I did the math right, with a 1/4 seam allowance, it comes to 52.5X70 inches.
    That's fine for a lap quilt, but I really want this to be a twin quilt.
    Do I add a big boarder? Will a large boarder look strange with the tiny blocks? I am using the paper roll idea for my left over scraps. I will have a long 3 - in strip of scraps that could be part of the boarder.
    What do you think? suck it up and buy the fabric, make a big boarder, use another fabric from my stash and have some blocks with a different "base" fabric?

*I am at work right now, but i will try to get photos when I go home for lunch

Help! and thanks
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

A 3" pieced strip of fabric border, another solid one, alternate these and you will have wide beautiful borders :D:D:D
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Do you have a solid or tone-on-tone in your stash that would work with these blocks? If so, you could break up the quilt itself and not have to worry about a wide border. For instance, you could put together a small piece 4 blocks wide by 6 blocks long and then add a 4" border of the solid or tone-on-tone to each side. That would give you a quilt top of 24"x32".

Add more of your hourglass blocks to each side (maybe 4 more rows to each side and 6 more rows to the top and bottom to keep it symmetrical) and then add another 4" border to each side. Now your top is 64"x88" if I've figured it correctly, and I think you've used 256 hourglass blocks.

If you want a top that is bigger than that, you could add another border somewhere else in the middle of the quilt, or you could use the remaining hourglass blocks to create a pieced border of some kind to go around the outside of the quilt (I haven't figured that part out yet!).
    Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
    cjr

What about putting 4 of your blocks together then 2" sashing between. Of course using your stash. Experiment maybe instead of four use 8, See what you like the best. I use sashing often to stretch a quilt size.
    Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM

lets see if this works.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164571.jpe  
    Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM

I would put sashing between the blocks to create a larger quilt, then add a couple borders - good luck. :) Show us a pic when it's done.
    Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM

I agree with CoriAnD, put sashing between the blocks to enlarge it and use the same sashing fabric for a border to bring it all together.