Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small project bunching up after quilting >

Small project bunching up after quilting

Small project bunching up after quilting

Old 02-22-2015, 11:53 AM

You didn't do anything wrong...Your background is quilted a lot more densely than the rest of the quilt...Quilting pulls the fabric down into the batting just a little bit...leaving unquilted areas the original size. I use three fingers wide and three fingers tall as the most I will leave unquilted on appliques...this equals about a 2-1/2" square area. I'd add a "belt" to the hat, maybe even a buckle...like a pilgrim hat. I'd outline where the wings on the bird are. Outline around the letters in the label. Put a line down the center of every snowflake spoke. I'm not sure how your snowman is "dressed", but you can outline any clothes (or make up clothes using stitching...white or clear thread). Outline his eyes, nose and mouth. Be creative and fill the open areas in.

Originally Posted by sued5320 View Post
I did spray baste it. Do I need to wait a while before I start the quilting? Here's a picture. You can see that the hat is rippled/wavy and the bump in the middle of the snowflake.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511044[/ATTACH]
Old 02-22-2015, 01:29 PM

I didn't originally do any stitching around the snowman or the appliques. I've now stitched around the snowflakes and finished with a circle in the middle of them. They are laying acceptably flat now. I also outlined around all the other motifs and it's looking better. As for the snowman, I may just stitch around the eyes, nose, and mouth and call it done.

I did learn quite a bit from all of you so thank you for all of the comments and suggestions.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I agree with margecam52. Cute quilt by the way!
Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
You didn't do anything wrong...Your background is quilted a lot more densely than the rest of the quilt...Quilting pulls the fabric down into the batting just a little bit...leaving unquilted areas the original size. I use three fingers wide and three fingers tall as the most I will leave unquilted on appliques...this equals about a 2-1/2" square area. I'd add a "belt" to the hat, maybe even a buckle...like a pilgrim hat. I'd outline where the wings on the bird are. Outline around the letters in the label. Put a line down the center of every snowflake spoke. I'm not sure how your snowman is "dressed", but you can outline any clothes (or make up clothes using stitching...white or clear thread). Outline his eyes, nose and mouth. Be creative and fill the open areas in.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM

I have read all the posts, and unless my eyes crossed, I didn't see anyone mention using a stabilizer under the wall hanging. I do a LOT of applique, and small stuff - I always use a stabilizer under the pc. So far so good, I haven't had any problems with your problems. Might give it a try next time. Also, I agree with (another post), shadow stitch around your pcs, that helps too. Cute pc by the way.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Great idea, I will be quilting some of my appliques so this is all good for me to know. What kind of stabilizer do you use? Do you baste it somehow to the top or the batting before quilting. Sorry, sounds like a dumb question but I would really like to know.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM

No, not a dumb question at all. I use a medium, tear-away.. I just cut a pc of stabilizer that is about the size of what I'm working on, and no, don't baste or spray adhesive on it. I just finished a wall-hanging (that I'd started for Valentine's Day) and I actually did the applique stitching thru all 3 layers, then did some swirly doodads for quilting on the rest of it. Came out just fine. I have also done applique with just the top & batting, then when thru, put the backing on and quilt - still using the stabilizer. Hope this helps.