Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and thread bunching >

quilting and thread bunching

quilting and thread bunching

Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Default quilting and thread bunching

Hi. I'm new to quilting. I just started quilting the layers of a project. I am using one color thread on top and different on the bottom. My thread on the bottom is bunching and pulling through on top layer. I am using default settings for the stitch width. Do you ever need to change that? Or is it likely due to improper bobbin threading or tension? How do you know what tension to use? Thanks.
From - a newby.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

​The first thing I do when switching from regular sewing to quilting is lengthen my stitch length. Take a picture of your settings before moving them and try reducing your top tension a bit first. If that doesn't help, try increasing your bobbin tension by turning the screw on the bobbin case in tiny increments. You can turn the settings back for regular sewing by reviewing your pictures after you are done quilting.
Balancing stitches with two different colours of thread is tricky. Trial and error on practice swatches is how I do it before working on my quilt.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Hi welcome to the board. In one way, it's nice that you are using different colors of thread for the top and bobbin. It makes it easier to diagnose the problem. Rule of thumb is if the problem is on the top (bobbin thread on top) your issue is with the bobbin. If the mess is on the bottom (top thread nests on bottom), your upper tension is off.
Having said that it is extremely difficult to balance top and bottom thread, so most people use the same color in both.
Now to your problem. Excess bobbin thread is showing on the top, correct? The first thing to try is clean your bobbin area thoroughly. Take off the foot plate. Get your manual out if you don't know how. Wind a fresh bobbin and make sure you are inserting it correctly.
Are the top and bobbin thread the same weight? if not, this can throw things off.
Unless you are trying a fancy stitch, your stitch width should be set for a straight stitch, probably 0. You do want to up your stitch length to at least 3 or 3.5.
Insert a new needle, top stitch or jeans is a good one to try.
Rethread.
Now practice on a scrap sandwich.
If this doesn't fix the problem, you may need to adjust your bobbin tension.
First examine your bobbin case. Make sure you don't have any lint in the tension spring area, and try to sew a sample again.
The last thing you can try is adjusting the bobbin tension. This can be a bit nerve wracking. TEENY TINY turns of the screw can make a huge difference. Use an extra fine tip sharpie and mark the original position of the screw. Sounds like you need to try tightening the tension a bit.
One final comment is to make sure that your quilt is well supported and it's not dragging anywhere.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Gay

Assuming you are using a domestic machine and not a longarm? - make sure the bobbin thread is going through the tension spring correctly. It seems to me to have no tension at all. You mention 'default settings for the stitch width', are you using a zigzag stitch? I put my setting on '0' with feed dogs down for free motion quilting, or 3 for straight sewing, my default is 2.5.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:08 PM

I know these are really basic instructions, but since you said you're new to quilting it might be helpful to go over the most basic things to get started:

(1) If you are quilting straight lines, you want to use a Walking Foot or a Dual Feed Foot on your machine & your feed dogs need to be UP. You should have a straight stitch plate on your machine as a zig-zag plate can result in the fabric bunching underneath as it gets pulled down through the wider hole. You want your stitch length set between 2.75-3mm.
(2) If you are quilting curvy lines, you want to use a Darning or Free Motion Foot on your machine & it's usually best if your feed dogs are DOWN. You should have a straight stitch plate on your machine. You want your stitch length set to 0.

Either way, pull up your bobbin thread before you start sewing so the thread doesn't form a knotted nest on the underneath side. This is not a great quality video, but it focuses on this one skill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDERq4I7l-Q

Here are some other good tips:
http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...irdsnests.aspx
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM

I probably am not the one to advise you on tension problems, but I wanted to welcome you to the board from the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM

Sounds like your needle is dull. Change the needle, re-thread everything, then try a test piece of stitching. If the new needle didn't help, then start on your tensions.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 PM

Hi! Thanks for these video links...I'm going to check them out. I am really new but somehow I'm at least doing something right and using a walking foot and right now just using a straight stitch.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Thanks so much!! I have 3 littles 4 and under, so my projects drag out a bit and I pop in and out of here. Trying to work through this one to the finish right now! It's a quilt for my oldest. I'm hoping to get it finished before he outgrows the patterns I chose! Ha!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 PM

The only time I have had to adjust setting is when I use a thinner thread on bottom than on top