Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and thread bunching >

quilting and thread bunching

quilting and thread bunching

Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 PM

It sounds to me you are forgetting to pull bottom thread to top then holding these threads as you start off. ( when I forget to do this I always get bunching on the back. Later sew these threads in.)
you need to do a practice of walking foot with thread tensions on a small sandwich before on the main quilt. Take note or 'photo of settings then change to do your quilting.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

For newbies, I always suggest you use the same thread color in the bobbin and the top thread. It takes time to learn how to correctly adjust your tension. I usually quilt with the length of 3 and it is a good idea to replace your needle when starting a new project. I found it helpful to take a class at my LQS 20 years ago from Harriet Hargrave. I own her book which is my primary go to book in my library. She has come out with her 4th edition:
http://www.harriethargrave.com/Books...ition-p79.html
Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM

usually use the same color on top and bottom or at least as close to the same. I would take out the bobbin and rethread everything. Well if the loops are on the bottom it is the top tension. Check your bobbin tension
Old 01-17-2016, 05:01 AM

Usually thread bunching is caused by the thread coming out of the take up lever.....rethread, use a 90/14 topstitch needle.....if you take off the walking foot, put a quilt sandwich in the machine, sew straight stitches....and your tension is ok...Don't mess with your tension. Always check your thread weight to your needle size..normally 90/14 topstitch, lengthen your stitch slightly, pull up your bobbin thread to the top before you start to stitch. Let us know how things work out...