Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small quilt >

small quilt

small quilt

Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 PM

I need info on how to make a quilt. I just recently had to put my mom in a nursing home (I can only pray that I did the right thing.) Anyway, mom was a quilter. She made pretty quilts at first, then they started to. Well, you know. My mother is 99 years old and doing pretty good I think. I go to see her about 3,4 times a week.
I want to make her a quilt. My problem is, I absolutely do not sew. Mom was artistic with the things she made. I was the musician. I have no idea where to even start. Will someone please help me??
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Can you sew any? make it from your heart. It will please her just because you put yourself in it. It will mean so much to you and to her.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

I would recommend going to your local quilt shop and take the beginner class - most of them are set up to do lap size or small bed - and will make you form beginning to finish then you will have a completed project in a couple of days (Good classes finish the project in class or most of the way)
Old 09-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I would do a simple 4 patch. She will love anything evenif it's not perfect.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM

I am in the same situation of being the only one to decide on a nursing home for my mom. She was 90 years old and unable to care for herself. She has passed since. But I still believe that I did the right thing. There was no way that I cold have provided that care she needed. Making a quilt would be a lovely idea. But I also think that if you found a very nice handmade quilt she would be happy. It is the thought that counts. God Bless you and your Mom
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM

I think I would go to your local quilt shop and talk to them and they might recommend a pattern and some helps to get you started and also answer any questions you might have as you are sewing. If there is a group in your area, like a senior ctr group or a church that have sewing groups, they would certainly help get you started as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM

I didnt start sewing or quilting until Feb. of this year. I thought I couldnt do anything like that. I took one quilting class and bought a inexpensive sewing machine, and off I went. I am having a blast and my quiling might not be as good as some, but I am proud of it and am having so much fun.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen
I would recommend going to your local quilt shop and take the beginner class - most of them are set up to do lap size or small bed - and will make you form beginning to finish then you will have a completed project in a couple of days (Good classes finish the project in class or most of the way)
That's how I started last year and I have made 2 laps, 2 twins, a queen and helped my DM quilt several lap and toddler quilts. I had had sewing experience but my girlfriend didn't and she is working on one as well. If you have the desire to do this for her, you can do it...Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Please make sure you put a label on the quilt with your mother's name on it. As a retired RN I can tell that unfortunately these quilts and afghans have legs. Some are taken by unscrupulous opportunists or by other older confused patients who just want something warm and pretty for themselves.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!