Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small quilt >

small quilt

small quilt

Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen
I would recommend going to your local quilt shop and take the beginner class - most of them are set up to do lap size or small bed - and will make you form beginning to finish then you will have a completed project in a couple of days (Good classes finish the project in class or most of the way)
Agree!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM

I wasn't able to take classes at a quilt shop because of scheduling. I learned how through some online classes on craftsy.com. They have some simple quilts and explain things very well.I think it's called quilting quickly?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kim T
I didnt start sewing or quilting until Feb. of this year. I thought I couldnt do anything like that. I took one quilting class and bought a inexpensive sewing machine, and off I went. I am having a blast and my quiling might not be as good as some, but I am proud of it and am having so much fun.
Good answer. Keep at it
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Welcome! If there are no new classes soon maybe they could suggest someone to help you.

As for feeling bad about putting your mom in a home - it is hard. I had to put my mom in one. I would have loved to have taken care of her at home but I had her at her house for one night for Christmas and knew after that night that I could not have done it on my own(she was in the nursing home since September and on). I was able to go everyday to see her, which I'm glad I did and looking back wouldn't have done any differently. Went everyday for 6 months which is nothing compared to the years she took care of me. She had people around to take care of her, food, clean clothes, baths, help to get to the bathroom, and someone to make sure she got her meds. I hand sewed a quilt while I was with her which she enjoyed watching me do this. Just got a thought ... is your mother coherent enough to tell you how to sew? Maybe take her machine into her room and sew with her help(talk to the home first but they usually bend over backwards to help). It might make her feel good just seeing and thinking of you continuing one of her loves.

Best wishes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 PM

That is so nice. You will so enjoy learning.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 AM

How is your mother's mental health? My mother died at 98. The last year she couldn't have cared if I had made the effort to make her a quilt or not; and if I had made one it would have only brought forth very negative comments. She was happiest talking about times from the past and things from the present were of no value to her at all. That wasn't her real personality, it was just what her mental health had become as she had started to die. Her positive attitude seemed to die first before other parts of her body. At the end she resented having lived so long that she outlived her health and was stuck inside a sick body. I hope your mother has a better experience with her last years.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lucio
Please make sure you put a label on the quilt with your mother's name on it. As a retired RN I can tell that unfortunately these quilts and afghans have legs. Some are taken by unscrupulous opportunists or by other older confused patients who just want something warm and pretty for themselves.
I was an RN too and agree about the name. I would add one thing though. Along with the label, either embroider or write in permanent ink, in an area that is not readily noticable and take a photo of the whole quilt and that area. That helped me locate and return a few of these treasures to the resident or their family members.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:10 AM

I also believe you did the right thing by putting your mother in a home. Before she was put in a home, my mother was taken care of by my dad. I would go almost every day and would take my fabric with me to cut out. She loved watching me work with the fabrics. I was just getting into quilting. How I wish I had made her a quilt; I did have the fabric bought but never had a chance to make it because I was working full time at the time.
Also, the rail fence pattern is a good one to start with. And yes, take a basic quilting class at your local QS.
Blessings to you!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.:)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 AM

She will be so happy that you became a quilter.
Where are her quilting supplies?
Can you use them?
Include her in the process. Ask what colors she likes and what pattern to use as a biginner.